Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You completely missed the point.
Maybe not. I am trying to reconcile your point with the case book plays (3.3.2 and 10.1.2), the rule and the reality of how this occurs.

I have never seen a coach knowingly leave off a player and then request his name be added. I have seen a coach (or his manager) make a mistake and not include a player (usually a JV player who is going to play for the varsity). When the player is sent to the table, the coach "assumes" he is listed on that day's roster.

As for the scorer deliberately "cheating," you presume the scorer knows the player will not score and will not commit a foul. If the scorer is able to foretell the future, I want to take that scorer to Vegas with me and have him tell me the next number on the roulette wheel. Because as soon as the player does either, he MUST be added to the book and that is when the technical foul is assessed.

And please don't cite some long ago source to back your point. Today's officials have only the current rule book and case book to guide them. As much as you personally disapprove of this interpretation, it has the force of "law" around here: and we are instructed not to set aside any rule (or published interpretation) because we don't like it or think it is wrong.

While the scorer has a duty to inform the officials of this transgression, there is no specific penalty if he does not. Officials have many "duties" by rule, but there is (usually) no penalty if we make a mistake. If we give the ball to the wrong team for a throw-in, there is nothing that can be done once the throw-in ends. The interpretation doesn't say there is no penalty; it says the penalty can only be imposed when the name is added to the book, and that can happen only when the player is in the game or when he next reports (and, maybe, the scorer will pay more attention this time.)

The rule forbids "a team" from adding a name to the roster after the 10-minute mark. There is no authority for an official to add a name. That is how I read the interpretation: since the team did not add the name when the sub reported in the first half, there is no authority for the official to do so on behalf of the team. If the rule were as you described, then the penalty section needs to read the same as for the excessive time out: "Penalized when discovered." It doesn't say that....and the rules' makers (in my judgment) are trying to make that distinction.

There is another thread ongoing about the quality of table personnel. This "problem" is part of that thread. I had two problems along these lines in the last couple of seasons: one involving the wrong starter and one involving a JV player that a coach left off the varsity list when she submitted the roster. Both times the scorer was going to make the change without telling the officials. Both times I was at the table and would not allow it without penalty. The scorers had no idea they were doing anything wrong.

So, rather than look at this as a "cheating" scorer, I see it as one of the many realities of high school competition, with a wide range of "qualified" table personnel and a rules set that is often ambiguous (and sometimes contradictory) in many instances.

Last edited by BayStateRef; Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:57am.