The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I received something in the mail from my state association yesterday, saying that there's a shortage of football officials, and they're offering an 8-week course Tuesday nights starting in a few weeks. The course will be held literally five minutes from my house, and it doesn't cost anything other than registering for a license with the state (which I think I can do for less than normal since it would be my second).

I know this is the basketball board, but I thought I'd ask my homies of the hardwood - does anyone else do football, too?

I thought about doing it before I got the notice, but I don't know how seriously I would have pursued it. But with it this close and this cheap, the time may be right.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

I've done football for many years also. Great sport to do, and you usually get a great buncha guys for partners. Go for it. You'll enjoy it.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

JR is right. I've done football for years. The best thing about it is the fellowship and comraderie with your fellow officials. There's nothing like heading to a game with four other guys and tons of testosterone!

Football is a failry easy game to pick up. Just like basketball, the most difficult thing to learn is what not to call. As for mechanics, except for kicking plays, you do the same over and over, 80 to 100 times a night. You always in the same position during a game. The rules are more difficult than basketball, but it's an easier game to officiate.

You would enjoy it.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Think of it this way:

Weather
Football - outdoors at night in the cold w/rain and snow
Basketball - indoors

Water fountains
Football - maybe, but outdoors
Basketball - always, and indoors

Indoor plumbing
Football - possibly
Basketball - always
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have never officiated football, but I did officiate soccer for over 20 years and enjoyed doing 2-sports. In VA, soccer is played in the spring so there were no conflicts. Gave it up a couple of years ago because I got tired of the cold/rain and the football fields were starting to take a toll on my knees. There are many times when I wished I had gotten into football also. A large number of my association do multiple sports.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Think of it this way:

Weather
Football - outdoors at night in the cold w/rain and snow
Basketball - indoors
Nah! Football starts in August and is over by the end of October. Playoffs can get cold but that's just a night or two.

Quote:
Water fountains
Football - maybe, but outdoors
Basketball - always, and indoors
Cheerleaders, marching bands and all you want to drink, including waterbreaks when it's hot and water from pretty team managers during team timeouts.

Quote:
Indoor plumbing
Football - possibly
Basketball - always
I've yet to ever HAVE to take a wiz behind a building.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I figure I won't be getting many varsity games that run long and late, or playoff games. I'd be thrilled to death to do Thursday night 8th graders.

I'm optimistic. Think I'll give it a shot. If nothing else, it'll give me one more option, leave me available to do stuff.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up You are in my area.

Over and Back,

I noticed that you are in the area and the class I am assuming that you were contacted by was the IACAO Football Class. The guys that run that are long time officials and have done multiple State Finals. Ed (our Recruiting officer) has a passion for officiating.

Pick up football, it is alot of fun. I am a COA and Fox Valley Football Officials member. I am on the Board of FVFO and our meetings are held on Mondays in August. There are a lot of guys that will teach you what to expect by attending both meetings. But no matter what group you join, you will find football as a great community sport to work. We are all in this together.

If you join the class, I am sure I will see you at the IACAO Football Clinic. I will be one of the speakers and I always help out with the clinic as well. Hope to see you there.

Hope to see you in the fall.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Sweet. Thanks. Yep, that's the one. Going to be held at LHS, right up the street from me.

I'm in. See you there.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Go for it, I also do football and have much fun. Like BktBallRef said, it is much easier to officiate, you can take a second on making calls(no rush). Also once you learn the mechanics you can screw up on calls and still look good. That's what's great about football, all the fans and coaches watch the ball but most of the fouls happen offball, unlike basketball.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I actuall started doing football, 2 years ago, my uncle got me involved with it. I think its great, except for the november games, where the temperature gets below freezing.

Its a great way to keep in shape before basketball season starts.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 12:18pm
Ref Ump Welsch

GO FOR IT!!! I do three sports, so I'm busy year round. Football, basketball, then slow-pitch softball. Sometimes have overlaps, but work them out no problem.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 03:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do football as well, and I have found 1000% more enjoyment than basketball.

Sure, you might find one or two games a year with crappy weather, but believe me: it is worth it!

I love being outside (something that I've found some don't get enough of) and having the best seat in the house.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

I actually can't stand the smell of a gym at times. And there are gyms here that don't have air conditioning. Might as well be outside where there is a breeze.

When doing football, remember to see the foul, find the ball, make the call.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Nah! Football starts in August and is over by the end of October. Playoffs can get cold but that's just a night or two.
Must be nice to be in North Carolina. Back in Connecticut, our regular season always went through November (have to have the Thanksgiving day games) and it often would start to get cold in mid to late September.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Football you bet :)

I, as most above, do football also. Just got back from our mechanics clinic, which is required for certification....It was good to see some football again....( and the cool thing is I got to be an instructor....)