The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Reassignment rules?

Are there "rules" or "established practices" in your area or association for reassigning cancelled games or for mistakes in assignments?

Example 1:
Game 1 is cancelled because of snow. Makeup is two weeks later and game is offered to the officials originally scheduled. Neither can make it and two other officials are assigned. Makeup game is also cancelled because of snow. Who gets the first shot at the second makeup? The officials originally scheduled to work? Those assigned the first makeup? Anyone the assignor wants?

Example 2:
Assignor calls on Tuesday with a Saturday game (snow makeup) for two-person crew. Ten minutes after you arrive at the gym, two other officials show up who were given the game on Thursday. They are more "senior" officials. Who leaves? One of the guys given the game later? The "junior" official? Whoever pulls the short straw?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:30pm
M.A.S.H.

In my area:

Example 1 - The second set of officials would likely be given the first crack at working the game.

Example 2 - Just have to work it out; either way, all four officials would be paid.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Are there "rules" or "established practices" in your area or association for reassigning cancelled games or for mistakes in assignments?

Example 1:
Game 1 is cancelled because of snow. Makeup is two weeks later and game is offered to the officials originally scheduled. Neither can make it and two other officials are assigned. Makeup game is also cancelled because of snow. Who gets the first shot at the second makeup? The officials originally scheduled to work? Those assigned the first makeup? Anyone the assignor wants?

Example 2:
Assignor calls on Tuesday with a Saturday game (snow makeup) for two-person crew. Ten minutes after you arrive at the gym, two other officials show up who were given the game on Thursday. They are more "senior" officials. Who leaves? One of the guys given the game later? The "junior" official? Whoever pulls the short straw?
I'm not sure what decision the assignor here would make in Example 1, however I think it is next to impossible to have multiple crews show up to the same game like in example 2 using the Arbiter assigning system we use here.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:32pm
TODO: creative title here

#1: Once the game gets postponed and reassigned to someone else, I'd have no idea if it gets postponed again. I think my assigner basically gives the previously-assigned officials first crack at the reschedule out of convenience... if they can take it he doesn't have to find someone else.

#2: When this happened to a colleague's high school football crew, they flipped a coin in the parking lot. His crew lost. No idea if they ended up getting paid for it or not.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

1) What is this snow thing you're discussing? (Change with rain - and I'd have to say I have never had this happen, so I'm not sure what the assignor would do.

2) Call the assignor.

We had (2) happen in football once. They didn't call the assignor - one crew went home. Turns out there were two fields with similar names and that crew that didn't call was supposed to be somewhere else - and got into quite a ton of hot water. Another time (2) happened in football - school screwed up, assignor made sure all got paid - so instead of working a 3 man crew, we worked 5 and put an official on the box. And all got full pay - nice night!

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
however I think it is next to impossible to have multiple crews show up to the same game like in example 2 using the Arbiter assigning system we use here.
Had that exact same scenario happen years ago. We weren't using Arbiter, but were using ZebraWare. Its possible if someone doesn't look at the entire schedule and wonder why 2 crews are set to go the same place at the same time.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I am working on our Executive board this year. I can tell you, keeping the schedule straight is a job alone.

The officials on the game last, would be given 1st shot at the game. As for 4 officials showing up, yeah, all would be paid, but we are more fortunate when 2 actually show up....especially if they are both on time.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
I'm not sure what decision the assignor here would make in Example 1, however I think it is next to impossible to have multiple crews show up to the same game like in example 2 using the Arbiter assigning system we use here.
It is possible in all systems.

In RefTown, there are warnings about having two games at the same place at or near the same time but it doesn't mean the assignor will fix it. He/she might just assign them both and have 4 officials show up.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Once a game has been rescheduled and the original officials can't make the reassignment, it's the new officials' game until they decline any resked. Anything else is a logistical nightmare. Once a game is reassigned it belongs to the new officials.

Two crews assigned to one game, you call the assignor and let him/.her play Solomon. If you lose the game and don't get paid (very possible since schools are only cutting checks to one crew) the assignor owes you one. This, of course, is meaningless, but it gives you something to think about while you and your partner(s) get a head start at the approved site of your associations adult beverages debriefing. Plus, the sympathy factor ought to get you out of buying a round.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
I once was involved in an Arbiter assigned issue where two crews where assigned to the same game, but at both schools. One crew at the home school and one crew at the visiting school. I was at the visiting school. No game but I still got paid.