The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 07:48am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question Tony Parker FT Error - WWYD (Part 2)

Y! SPORTS

What do YOU tell the coach?

(I know someone will edit the clip and condense, so thanks in advance)

Last edited by APG; Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 09:26am. Reason: embed
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I read somewhere yesterday relating to this, that the referee tried to stop Parker as he went into his shooting motion. I will try and find that and read it more in depth. If that is the scenario, I'm sure the opposing coach still isn't thrilled but he just needs to get the explanation that the referee tried to stop the attempt because _____. The fact that the ball did come out of his hands the way it did probably makes it a little easier to explain, I'd imagine it's a real nightmare if the shot was a "normal" miss.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

If this were a HS game, 9.1.1 tells us this is a violation on the free thrower. It was just speculation on the part of the color commentator that the ref tried to stop the free throw.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

If the official told him something then I would not call anything and would do what the officials did in this case. Who cares what the team (Bulls) think? We do not give a damn what they think any other time, why now?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
If this were a HS game, 9.1.1 tells us this is a violation on the free thrower. It was just speculation on the part of the color commentator that the ref tried to stop the free throw.
Okay thanks for the update on that, I wasn't sure where I saw the ref tried to stop it and I couldn't think of any reason WHY he would try to stop it at that moment. The violation would be on the shooter for no rim on the free throw correct?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
Okay thanks for the update on that, I wasn't sure where I saw the ref tried to stop it and I couldn't think of any reason WHY he would try to stop it at that moment. The violation would be on the shooter for no rim on the free throw correct?
Maybe, if you deemed it a try.

If he just fumbles it and the ball squirts away, NFHS wants a violation called rather than just counting to 10 seconds since the shooter has no ability to retrieve the ball without committing a violation. While a timeout may have been an option before, they took that away with this case play.

This play seems somewhere between the two.

As Jeff notes, if the official had said something to Parker, another shot is in order. If not, tough luck, Tony.