The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, here's an easy question for your seasoned vets....

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could explain (in laymen's terms) when is the proper time for the lead to initiate a rotation? I am not sure how long the ball should be on a certain side before I switch. Also (along those same lines), if I am say table side as I am sprinting down to take lead, and the ball comes up table side opposite, how long should I wait until I rotate? I know these are probably pretty simple questions, but you guys have been so helpful in the past, I am looking forward to your advice and instructions today.

Take care and good luck in districts....
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

A basic overview is found in the Officials Manual, 3.3.3. Some additional guidelines regarding post match-ups on the Center's side may be added, by your local trainers and mentors.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

The thoughts posted below are purely my own:

#1, boys or girls? Girls seem to move the ball from side to side more. We don't rotate as often in girls'games.

#2, don't rotate until all 3 officials are in the FC. Then, we usually wait until the ball settles below the FT line extended.

#3, notice tendencies. Do they have a big man who posts up in the low post? Do they run plays to a certain side of the floor? Do they unbalance the floor? Those are also reasons to rotate.

#4, if the C moves toward the division line to officiate a matchup, you can rotate to that side of the floor.

#5, if the ball swings to the C's side but you anticipate a shot, hold your position and don't get caught moving across the lane with a shot in the air.

#6, when you rotate, move with purpose but focus on your matchup. Don't ball hawk while you rotate.

Help that helps.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

7. If you're looking across, go across. If you're looking on your side, stay.

8. If C has more matchups (and the ball) than s/he should be expected to handle, go across.

9. If the action pushes (or pulls) C high, go across.

Quote:
if I am say table side as I am sprinting down to take lead, and the ball comes up table side opposite,
Do you officiate in an MC Escher gym?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

#2, don't rotate until all 3 officials are in the FC. Then, we usually wait until the ball settles below the FT line extended.
I don't worry much about the location of the ball or whether it settles there, anymore.

I do tend to rotate quite a bit. I go where I feel I am best serving the game as the L, even if it means a few rotations per possession.

Some of my thoughts:

If the C has a closely guarded count, the L should be moving over there.

If you think the ball could get thrown down into the post, it's too late to get over there once the post player has the ball. Get there before the pass comes in.

Listen to Bob.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:29am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
7. If you're looking across, go across. If you're looking on your side, stay.
To echo this...a wise old vet told me many years ago..."If it's interesting enough for you to look over there...then go there". Sounds pretty simplistic but I've always found it useful.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 08:32am.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

10. If you're in one of those "dazes" during a blowout and you feel like you've been running back and forth in the same spot for an hour, rotate to wake everyone up!! I'm actually only half joking....Something I've found useful, I usually just mention it to my partners at halftime if we have an ugly game and see if anyone objects.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I was also taught that if the ball seems to be "hanging out" in the general area of the top of the key (middle third of the floor) you should close down to the lane line on you side of the floor. That will allow you to rotate more quickly. Just because you are not rotating does not mean you are not moving (a step or two) as lead be in better position.

It may be different in your world.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I was also taught that if the ball seems to be "hanging out" in the general area of the top of the key (middle third of the floor) you should close down to the lane line on you side of the floor. That will allow you to rotate more quickly. Just because you are not rotating does not mean you are not moving (a step or two) as lead be in better position.

It may be different in your world.
Mirror the ball. If it's at the top of the key, I'm closed down. I'm never closed down so that I'm "inside the ball" unless it's in the corner.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

If you start a rotation and there is a quick shot or drive back out. Your partners will be watching that shot or drive and not see your rotation.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here, we move when:
1. The ball drops below the FT line extended on the C's side.
or
2. The C starts a 5 second count
or
3. The L finds himself looking across the paint at a matchup.

As far as transition, I won't wait for all the officials to get into the FC. I can always go back if the ball goes quickly the other way and the other two didn't have a chance to rotate. I'd rather have a good look at the play and worry about adjusting later if need be. If it's clear the play is on the other side of the lane and I have a chance to get over, I'll go.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldiver View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could explain (in laymen's terms) when is the proper time for the lead to initiate a rotation? I am not sure how long the ball should be on a certain side before I switch. Also (along those same lines), if I am say table side as I am sprinting down to take lead, and the ball comes up table side opposite, how long should I wait until I rotate? I know these are probably pretty simple questions, but you guys have been so helpful in the past, I am looking forward to your advice and instructions today.

Take care and good luck in districts....
I'm pretty much with Adam on this one. One thing to keep in mind is if your going to flex, go all the way, even if the flow of the play goes opposite. You can always flex back if that happens.
As far as transition if the ball is brought up opposite side of where I'm at I'll sometimes flex as soon as the ball goes over half court if it looks like the flow of the play will be on that side. But as a rule I remind my partners in our pre-game that I will do that and to be heads up.
But flexing on the transition isn't always necessary.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
.... as a rule I remind my partners in our pre-game that I will do that and to be heads up.....
I think this is a huge positive, and I always bring up rotations in a pregame. They are definetly something you need to have a feel for and they get easier over time, but if each person just shares the way they like to work and it gets everyone on the same page. Also, awareness is huge, because if a rotation gets botched, and noticed relativley quickly, just fill in and odds are the three of you will be the only ones who notice.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 02:41pm
beware big brother

Wow, you guys have really detailed pre-games. My usually consist of four words: don't **** it up. If it is an important game, I might lengthen that to: make sure you don't **** it up.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Wow, you guys have really detailed pre-games. My usually consist of four words: don't **** it up. If it is an important game, I might lengthen that to: make sure you don't **** it up.
I like "don't let anybody **** your game up"