The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Flop on a PC foul (Video Added)

Syracuse/Duke 1:42 to go in 2nd half, Parker's 5th foul - the defender threw his head back like he got hit with a bat in the forehead.
It seems to me that if one is hit in the front of the torso, the head almost always comes forward, rather than going to the rear.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Just because they oversell it doesn't mean it is not a foul. On the replay i thought it was a good call from lead.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, one of our colleagues with video skills can post it, so we can discuss it. There was a similar "embellishment" later by a Duke player.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:48am
Stubborn Member

Overselling and flopping are not the same thing. One is still a foul, and one isn't.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

A player can oversell himself right out of a call, though. It happens.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:52am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A player can oversell himself right out of a call, though. It happens.
Huh? If there's a problem with the overselling, then let the player and/or coach know. But if there was a foul, how can you not call it? At least if you KNOW there was a foul.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Huh? If there's a problem with the overselling, then let the player and/or coach know. But if there was a foul, how can you not call it? At least if you KNOW there was a foul.
I think what Rich is saying is that sometimes a player sells it to the point where it becomes questionable about whether there was a foul. In that case, I tend to go with a no-call.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Overselling and flopping are not the same thing. One is still a foul, and one isn't.
"flopping" isn't in the book.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:55am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think what Rich is saying is that sometimes a player sells it to the point where it becomes questionable about whether there was a foul. In that case, I tend to go with a no-call.
Gotcha. For some reason I read it as if he would penalize the player for overselling by NOT making the call.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Read Adam's post.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you have to oversell what is a foul, when the contact is minimal, the official might just not call the foul.

I had a situation yesterday where a player was shooting a 3 point shot and kicked out his leg and acted like he was killed. Well his actions made me pass on the foul. Fortunately for him, my partner decide this was a foul. But without seeing the tape, I still think there was minimal contact. Often that overselling makes us think they flopped or were not fouled. That is why they can "oversell" themselves right out of a call.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 11:58am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
"flopping" isn't in the book.
Seeing as how "flopping" is merely acting like you got fouled, then there's no need for it to be in the book.

I was pointing out that the title of this thread is misleading. Or, in lawyer-speak, I suppose you could say the title of this thread is leading.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Seeing as how "flopping" is merely acting like you got fouled, then there's no need for it to be in the book.

I was pointing out that the title of this thread is misleading. Or, in lawyer-speak, I suppose you could say the title of this thread is leading.
The reason I said that is because the rule is that "faking being fouled" is a technical foul. Players often start to bail in anticipation of contact. It looks like a flop, but they're not faking being fouled. Players also can fake being fouled without flopping (the shooter who screams as if he was hit while he's airborne).

We all know what's meant by a flop, I get that, but I wanted to discern between two different acts that can look similar.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The reason I said that is because the rule is that "faking being fouled" is a technical foul. Players often start to bail in anticipation of contact. It looks like a flop, but they're not faking being fouled. Players also can fake being fouled without flopping (the shooter who screams as if he was hit while he's airborne).

We all know what's meant by a flop, I get that, but I wanted to discern between two different acts that can look similar.
Embellishing contact that doesn't put someone at a disadvantage is also "faking being fouled" and it's rarely talked about in that context.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I titled the thread as such to lead us into a discussion.