The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flop on a PC foul (Video Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97170-flop-pc-foul-video-added.html)

Rob1968 Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:49am

Flop on a PC foul (Video Added)

Syracuse/Duke 1:42 to go in 2nd half, Parker's 5th foul - the defender threw his head back like he got hit with a bat in the forehead.
It seems to me that if one is hit in the front of the torso, the head almost always comes forward, rather than going to the rear.

rlarry Sun Feb 02, 2014 06:47am

Just because they oversell it doesn't mean it is not a foul. On the replay i thought it was a good call from lead.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00am

Hopefully, one of our colleagues with video skills can post it, so we can discuss it. There was a similar "embellishment" later by a Duke player.

BryanV21 Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48am

Overselling and flopping are not the same thing. One is still a foul, and one isn't.

Rich Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:50am

A player can oversell himself right out of a call, though. It happens.

BryanV21 Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 920961)
A player can oversell himself right out of a call, though. It happens.

Huh? If there's a problem with the overselling, then let the player and/or coach know. But if there was a foul, how can you not call it? At least if you KNOW there was a foul.

Adam Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 920962)
Huh? If there's a problem with the overselling, then let the player and/or coach know. But if there was a foul, how can you not call it? At least if you KNOW there was a foul.

I think what Rich is saying is that sometimes a player sells it to the point where it becomes questionable about whether there was a foul. In that case, I tend to go with a no-call.

Adam Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 920960)
Overselling and flopping are not the same thing. One is still a foul, and one isn't.

"flopping" isn't in the book.

BryanV21 Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920963)
I think what Rich is saying is that sometimes a player sells it to the point where it becomes questionable about whether there was a foul. In that case, I tend to go with a no-call.

Gotcha. For some reason I read it as if he would penalize the player for overselling by NOT making the call.

Rich Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56am

Quote:

Read Adam's post.

JRutledge Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:57am

Quote:

If you have to oversell what is a foul, when the contact is minimal, the official might just not call the foul.

I had a situation yesterday where a player was shooting a 3 point shot and kicked out his leg and acted like he was killed. Well his actions made me pass on the foul. Fortunately for him, my partner decide this was a foul. But without seeing the tape, I still think there was minimal contact. Often that overselling makes us think they flopped or were not fouled. That is why they can "oversell" themselves right out of a call.

Peace

BryanV21 Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920964)
"flopping" isn't in the book.

Seeing as how "flopping" is merely acting like you got fouled, then there's no need for it to be in the book.

I was pointing out that the title of this thread is misleading. Or, in lawyer-speak, I suppose you could say the title of this thread is leading.

Adam Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 920968)
Seeing as how "flopping" is merely acting like you got fouled, then there's no need for it to be in the book.

I was pointing out that the title of this thread is misleading. Or, in lawyer-speak, I suppose you could say the title of this thread is leading.

The reason I said that is because the rule is that "faking being fouled" is a technical foul. Players often start to bail in anticipation of contact. It looks like a flop, but they're not faking being fouled. Players also can fake being fouled without flopping (the shooter who screams as if he was hit while he's airborne).

We all know what's meant by a flop, I get that, but I wanted to discern between two different acts that can look similar.

Rich Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920971)
The reason I said that is because the rule is that "faking being fouled" is a technical foul. Players often start to bail in anticipation of contact. It looks like a flop, but they're not faking being fouled. Players also can fake being fouled without flopping (the shooter who screams as if he was hit while he's airborne).

We all know what's meant by a flop, I get that, but I wanted to discern between two different acts that can look similar.

Embellishing contact that doesn't put someone at a disadvantage is also "faking being fouled" and it's rarely talked about in that context.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 920968)

I titled the thread as such to lead us into a discussion.;)