The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 07:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
When I played in HS we had a player who got drunk during school, and got caught. He got suspended for 3 days and missed a game. His first game back we are playing on the road at a rival. First time he goes to the line (and all other times thereafter) the crowd chanted "Alcoholic"

Even as his teammate, I thought it was clever and funny. We ended up winning.
Clever? Not really. Funny? Sure.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The point I was trying to make is when is enough enough? and Do you really consider racism to be something that is judged on a level of mild to severe and only what you would consider racist?

To me its like and OOB call, either their foot is on the line or it isn't. There is no grey.
I am going to have to disagree with this on some level. There are many things that people say that are not well known. Or might be taken in a different way. This reference in the OP might have taken me a couple of minutes to pick up on the issue. A word like "nigger" would not. There is a lot of racial language that is offensive if you change the region of the country or region of a state, conference or sometimes an incident that would make the issues different. No one is saying we should just ignore a situation, but one word might not inflame others and one word would that I referenced. Heck if someone used that one word toward African-Americans, you might have fans outside of the court confronting other fans or students. That is all I am saying. And I do not feel a T is always the best way to handle these situations. If an administration knows of things, they might take action before we even know what happened.

To give you a better example is there was a coach in my area that put on the wall of a locker room of his team saying, "Hard work will set you free." Well I would not have picked up on that reference, but apparently during the Holocast, that term was used in Germany at a concentration camp by the German Government. Well the coach was suspended for a couple of games for that stunt and when I was told as an African-American of this, I had no idea what was done wrong. It had to be explained to me the context of these words or how this would be seen as offensive. Well because the school district this took place had a very high Jewish population, they took big offense to those words and took action. And I was not offended, but understood after hearing the story. The OP would have probably caught me off guard in a similar way as it is not common that that is used towards someone of that background by saying something about a slurpee.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 03:45am.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

I had something happen a few weeks ago in a GV game. The road team had a number of Asian players. While the road team was handing the home team an a**-whipping, some of the students started making comments towards the visitors in mock Asian accents. My partner heard it, stopped the game and told GM. GM told the school safety officers what was going on and they cleared ALL of the home students out of the gym. The only spectators were fans of the road team.

Interestingly, some of the students involved were apparently members of the home school's BV team.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If your state or your association makes this decision, fine.

If you're making this decision on your own, you're a loose cannon.
Nevada,

A lot of people over time have been discouraged from acting or speaking-up for good and just causes. I encourage you to continue.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Nevada,

A lot of people over time have been discouraged from acting or speaking-up for good and just causes. I encourage you to continue.
I don't even know what to make of this post...much like you putting Nevadaref in the same company as historically significant people.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
i don't even know what to make of this post...much like you putting nevadaref in the same company as historically significant people.
+1,000,000

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Nevada,

I will say what was said before, this is a flat out lie.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nevada,

I have no clue what you're talking about.

I speak up by getting the game manager and having that person/people removed.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have no clue what you're talking about.

I speak up by getting the game manager and having that person/people removed.
Rich, you said -
"If your state or your association makes this decision, fine.

If you're making this decision on your own, you're a loose cannon."

Perhaps I mis-understood you. I will edit your post slightly below.

"If one's state or association makes this decision, fine.

If one makes this decision on their own, they're a loose cannon."

The other way, it sounded like you were speaking directly to Nevada. And I simply meant, don't be discouraged, stick to it. After all, calling someone a loose cannon is certainly discouraging them from continuing.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The other way, it sounded like you were speaking directly to Nevada. And I simply meant, don't be discouraged, stick to it. After all, calling someone a loose cannon is certainly discouraging them from continuing.
And if he was, so that freak what? That is not shutting him down or telling him he cannot do what he wants. But in Rich's area giving a T for something that was said in the OP is often frowned upon. Why? Because you are penalizing the team for actions that might not even be directly associated with the team. For all you know those chants might have not been from the fans of that specific team. That is why you tell GM and let them handle the situation in many cases. And even the interpretations cautions us against giving Ts to crowds for that very reason. In my area it is also frowned upon to give a T to the crowd. Give the GM a chance to deal with it and even have people removed or sections if need be. And if the people in Nevada's area have no problem with giving Ts to the crowd, good for them.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rich, you said -

One problem: I was speaking directly to him. He's the only one I know on the forum who thinks whacking fans/parents is actually part of his job. If anyone here CAN discourage him from doing this (which I doubt), then GOOD.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was speaking directly to Nevada... but he was not discouraging him from speaking here... he was discouraging him (and hopefully anyone else) from taking the action Nevada was advocating (issuing a Technical Foul to a fan).

Come on... advocating sticking to your guns and issuing a T to fans is being equated by some to the actions taken by MLK, founding fathers, etc. That's not just ridiculous, it's offensive.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Rich, you said -

The point is, I would discourage someone from making this call absent explicit instructions to do so from those who control your schedule. Nevadaref is sufficiently established in his locale, I don't think he's too concerned. Further, this is a once-in-a-career call at most, so how you handle this isn't nearly as important as the fact that you handled it.

I will say,though, the odds of getting in trouble for calling the T are far greater than the odds of getting into trouble for just having them removed.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The point is, I would discourage someone from making this call absent explicit instructions to do so from those who control your schedule. Nevadaref is sufficiently established in his locale, I don't think he's too concerned. Further, this is a once-in-a-career call at most, so how you handle this isn't nearly as important as the fact that you handled it.

I will say,though, the odds of getting in trouble for calling the T are far greater than the odds of getting into trouble for just having them removed.
I was working a HS boys playoff game about 7-8 years ago when a ball ended up in the stands. A student took the ball and threw it into the back of one of the visiting players.

My partner called a technical foul on the crowd. It was as good of a call as the one he made on a certain YouTube video that seems to get posted every other week.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the day we used to chant 1,2,3,4 get the cattle off the floor when opposing team's cheerleaders went to mid court.... complete with mooing sounds at the end...