The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:50pm
Stubborn Member

Since I'm bundled up nicely in a blanket, while the polar vortex takes its toll on me, instead of going to the rule book I'm just going to ask.

I suppose my laziness is also part of the reason I'm not looking it up myself, but I digress.

Is it correct to say that the player may have FC status, since he/she jumped from the FC, but the ball didn't? For that reason you can't have a BC violation?

So in order for a BC violation to occur, the player that catches the ball would first have to pivot and put both feet on the floor in the FC. Then he/she would have to touch the division line or put a foot into the BC.

Unless he/she started dribbling while straddling the division line, in which case all three points (both feet and the ball) would have to touch the FC. Then, any of the three points would have to touch the division line or BC to violate.

Did I get it, while at the same time staying warm?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Since I'm bundled up nicely in a blanket, while the polar vortex takes its toll on me, instead of going to the rule book I'm just going to ask.

I suppose my laziness is also part of the reason I'm not looking it up myself, but I digress.

Is it correct to say that the player may have FC status, since he/she jumped from the FC, but the ball didn't? For that reason you can't have a BC violation?

So in order for a BC violation to occur, the player that catches the ball would first have to pivot and put both feet on the floor in the FC. Then he/she would have to touch the division line or put a foot into the BC.

Unless he/she started dribbling while straddling the division line, in which case all three points (both feet and the ball) would have to touch the FC. Then, any of the three points would have to touch the division line or BC to violate.

Did I get it, while at the same time staying warm?
Take a look at NF Case Book 4.4.1 : If a player catches the ball with both feet on the floor, one in the frontcourt and one in the bacvkcourt, and then lifts the foot that is in the backcourt, and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt, it is a backcourt violation.
The would apply in any case in which the ball is legally held by the player, and his/her feet are straddling the division line.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Those two paragraphs are incorrect.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Bob is right.
The reasons which the two statements are incorrect are:
1. By rule, the airborne player has frontcourt status since that is where he last contacted the court. When this player touches the ball, it now also has frontcourt status. If this player catches the ball and then touches the backcourt when landing, the ONLY reason that this action isn't a violation is because 9-3-3 specifically makes an exception for it.

2. A player HOLDING the ball doesn't have to put both feet into the frontcourt to have FC status and make the ball also have FC status. The player need merely be touching the frontcourt and NOT touching the backcourt. Thus one foot in the FC and the other in the air is sufficient. See the rules on player location and ball location. As you note elsewhere in your post, it is different for a dribbler.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:42am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Bob is right.
The reasons which the two statements are incorrect are:
1. By rule, the airborne player has frontcourt status since that is where he last contacted the court. When this player touches the ball, it now also has frontcourt status. If this player catches the ball and then touches the backcourt when landing, the ONLY reason that this action isn't a violation is because 9-3-3 specifically makes an exception for it.

2. A player HOLDING the ball doesn't have to put both feet into the frontcourt to have FC status and make the ball also have FC status. The player need merely be touching the frontcourt and NOT touching the backcourt. Thus one foot in the FC and the other in the air is sufficient. See the rules on player location and ball location. As you note elsewhere in your post, it is different for a dribbler.
Gotcha. Thanks, guys.

When it comes to some rules it's better if I talk to other officials. The rule book can sometimes be tough for me to understand, so getting it "in English" is better.

Hey... I almost got it.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NevadaRef:

The throw-in play I am thinking of is: A2 catches A1's throw-in pass while airborne jumping from Team A's Front Court. A2, before returning to the playing surface, passes the ball to A3 who is standing in Team A's Backcourt.

I do believe that the NFHS ruling is different from the NCAA ruling.

MTD, Sr.
If I recall previous discussions on this forum, you are correct. For that particular situation: NFHS = violation, NCAA = no violation.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NevadaRef:

The throw-in play I am thinking of is: A2 catches A1's throw-in pass while airborne jumping from Team A's Front Court. A2, before returning to the playing surface, passes the ball to A3 who is standing in Team A's Backcourt.

I do believe that the NFHS ruling is different from the NCAA ruling.

MTD, Sr.
BC in NFHS, is it legal in NCAA?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I recall previous discussions on this forum, you are correct. For that particular situation: NFHS = violation, NCAA = no violation.
On the nfhs side the case play is 9.9.1 E
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Adam and NevadaRef:

See what happens when you get "old"? You have too much information to process. LOL

Thanks for confirmation. That was the play I was thinking of when I originally posted about a NFHS/NCAA difference in the OP of this thread.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Illegal on NCAA Men's side.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 06:08pm
(Something hilarious)

How is this legal in NCAA-W, then? The BC rules are exactly the same between M and W, to my knowledge.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Illegal on NCAA Men's side.
Maybe I lost track of this post.

It is illegal for airborne front court player A1 to catch the throw in and pass it to his teammate A2 who is standing in the back court.

That is a violation.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
How is this legal in NCAA-W, then? The BC rules are exactly the same between M and W, to my knowledge.
There used to be (iirc) an AR to that effect in NCAA.

I don't see it in the current book.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Back court

What is the purpose of the back court violation/rule?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK51 View Post
What is the purpose of the back court violation/rule?
To keep the game in the front court.