The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97124-ncaa-backcourt.html)

just another ref Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26pm

NCAA Backcourt

Is the rule different than NFHS? 2 minutes left in the Arkansas Pine Bluff vs. Texas Southern game a throw-in pass was caught by the airborne player who then landed with his first foot in frontcourt followed by the second foot in backcourt. Violation was called.

Rich1 Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14am

Same rule

There is no difference between ncaa/nfhs here because as soon as the player touched the front court with his first foot he established FC status and has violated. If he had landed with his first foot in the back court then it would not be a violation.

just another ref Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 920108)
There is no difference between ncaa/nfhs here because as soon as the player touched the front court with his first foot he established FC status and has violated. If he had landed with his first foot in the back court then it would not be a violation.

not true

zm1283 Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28am

Quote:

On a throw in, the player catching the pass can land normally and it is not a violation no matter which foot comes down first.

Rich1 Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 920109)
not true

Actually, you are correct. I was thinking about a case play that involves a deflection which would have ended the throw in but that is not what happened in this game.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34am

Quote:

Perhaps the official was from Texas. :D

NFHS 9-9-3:

During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 28, 2014 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 920106)
Is the rule different than NFHS? 2 minutes left in the Arkansas Pine Bluff vs. Texas Southern game a throw-in pass was caught by the airborne player who then landed with his first foot in frontcourt followed by the second foot in backcourt. Violation was called.

Since I retired for officiating college ball after the 07-08 season, I sometimes do not pay as close attention to detail as I use to. While the NFHS and NCAA wording of the rule is the same, it seems to me that your play as described is correct under NCAA interpretation and incorrect under NFHS interpretation. It is late and I need to get to bed, but I hope that one of our active college officials will join the discussion.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I am may be incorrect in wanting to believe that there is a difference between the NFHS and NCAA ruling in this play but there is a throw-in play involving the backcourt exception which has a different rulings for NFHS and NCAA. Dang it is heck getting old, LOL.

AremRed Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:13am

You can browse to the play here: ESPN3 -- Arkansas Pine-Bluff vs. Texas Southern.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 920114)
Since I retired for officiating college ball after the 07-08 season, I sometimes do not pay as close attention to detail as I use to. While the NFHS and NCAA wording of the rule is the same, it seems to me that your play as described is correct under NCAA interpretation and incorrect under NFHS interpretation. It is late and I need to get to bed, but I hope that one of our active college officials will join the discussion.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I am may be incorrect in wanting to believe that there is a difference between the NFHS and NCAA ruling in this play but there is a throw-in play involving the backcourt exception which has a different rulings for NFHS and NCAA. Dang it is heck getting old, LOL.

NCAA Rule 9, Section 13, Art. 10.

After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court.

APG Tue Jan 28, 2014 07:12am

The play described would not be a violation under NFHS or NCAA rules or NBA rules if inside of two minutes of the 4th/OT.

SNIPERBBB Tue Jan 28, 2014 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 920118)
You can browse to the play here.

You should realize that not everyone can view video on that site.

Zoochy Tue Jan 28, 2014 09:55am

He gerts a 10 out of 10 selling the call.:D
He gets a 0 out of 10 knowing the Rule!;)

JetMetFan Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:28am

That means the crew made two mistakes on that possession.

First: when the ball came inbounds in APB's backcourt the shot-clock didn't start properly. APB gained control with 2:17 remaining in the half and the ball went OOB in the frontcourt with 1:51 remaining, meaning there should have been nine seconds remaining at the time of the second inbound. There were 12.

Then on the second inbound the violation was called incorrectly.

And another...no one noticed that the game clock didn't run when the missed FT that led to the inbound situation at 2:17 was tapped OOB. But who's counting, right?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:18am

Interesting that this comes up -- during the week that the NCAAW quiz is on BC violations. The quiz includes three videos -- at least one of which was called incorrectly during the game (I can't remember how the others were called)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 920119)
NCAA Rule 9, Section 13, Art. 10.

After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court.

NevadaRef:

The throw-in play I am thinking of is: A2 catches A1's throw-in pass while airborne jumping from Team A's Front Court. A2, before returning to the playing surface, passes the ball to A3 who is standing in Team A's Backcourt.

I do believe that the NFHS ruling is different from the NCAA ruling.

MTD, Sr.