The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Replacement Shooter

After reading the earlier thread about when a FT shooter can be replaced, a situation popped up in one of my girls' games.

A1 is shooting the of two first free-throws after being fouled on a shot attempt and makes it. I am administering the shots and when I go to pass the ball for A1's second shot, my partner blows his whistle and tell the A1's coach that we need a replacement shooter because A1 has a metal clip in her hair. So the coach sends in A2 to shoot the free-throw and A1 sits on the bench. A2 misses and we play on from there and nobody in the gym seems to care or know why we did what we did.

Before the game started, we had reminded both coaches and captains that no metal could be in their hair after we had seen multiple players with the metal clips.

If I noticed a metal clip in A1's hair, I would have let her finish the free-throw and then stop the game to get her out just to avoid any headaches with the rules.

Does this fall under safety issues or an improperly equipped player? I've been searching and can't seem to find anything that validates or invalidates what we did.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Clear the lane, let A1 shoot her remaining FT, then have A1 replaced.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:46pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
This is an example of what not to do in this situation, and there is no rules backing for making this decision.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is an example of what not to do in this situation, and there is no rules backing for making this decision.
I'm using 3.3.5 Situation A as a basis for that. While the case play talks about a player pulling a jersey, I don't see why one wouldn't be able to apply it to jewerly if you're going to direct a player to leave the game to correct.

If you're going to use this case book play as a template, I should also point out that B will get the ball regardless after the final FT's.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
A rule and case play that are only going to cause the officials heartache. I'm going the "pull your pants up/take the metal pin out your hair" route.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A rule and case play that are only going to cause the officials heartache. I'm going the "pull your pants up/take the metal pin out your hair" route.
I would only use the case book play if player couldn't get legal in a timely fashion. Otherwise, I'm with you in telling the player to correct the issue right there and resume.

Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:16pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I'm using 3.3.5 Situation A as a basis for that. While the case play talks about a player pulling a jersey, I don't see why one wouldn't be able to apply it to jewerly if you're going to direct a player to leave the game to correct.

If you're going to use this case book play as a template, I should also point out that B will get the ball regardless after the final FT's.
That is a stretch I wouldn't make, but I can see how some might.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Me personally I will just tell the kid to take the clip out and give it to her coach (I would also remind all other players to make sure their hair is clear) and have the kid shoot the last FT.

I would not clear the lane as this was not a T. If I had to get a replacement then that replacement would shoot the second FT with the lanes occupied, but this is not the route I would go. Correct it and resume the game.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IT's one of the valid choices.

THe other is fix it and go on.

Which to use depends on what is expected in your area, whether the team had had an issue before, etc.

What's not allowed is have a sub come in to shoot the FTs.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Johnny,
How many HS games do you work during a season in addition to your college schedule? You've now made a couple of posts on this forum that aren't accurate for NFHS and I'm wondering how much time you put into the HS game and the rules at that level.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:27pm
beware big brother

Nevada,

Not many HS games at all.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:33pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IT's one of the valid choices.

THe other is fix it and go on.

Which to use depends on what is expected in your area, whether the team had had an issue before, etc.

What's not allowed is have a sub come in to shoot the FTs.
I disagree. I do not think the case play covers the situation of a player wearing illegal equipment. The case play is specific for a player improperly wearing legal equipment. IMO, once discovered, the player should be directed to leave the game and their replacement will shoot the remaining free throw with the players lined up. I like BNRs way of handling it by just having the person remove the thing and continue play. While that method is probably the best, it is not supported by rule either. I personally would not ever choose the method APG suggested. Again, I don't think it is supported by rule, and as BNR said, I think it causes more problems than it solves.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 06:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That is a stretch I wouldn't make, but I can see how some might.
I don't think it's much of a stretch, to be honest. It's a solid precedent for a very similar situation.

Now, I'm frankly with the others on this. I'm going to just have her take it out if she can get it out quickly. If not, I'm using the case play APG references.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Every Forum Member Has A Casebook ...

Quote:
3.3.5 Situation.
3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-andone,
the official observes: (a) A1 pull the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s
pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed
to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game
immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free
throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free
throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the
requirement for A1 to leave the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-andone, the official observes: (a) A1 pull the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the requirement for A1 to leave the game.
I don't know about you but this caseplay is absolutely ludicrous. The penalty is hey kid leave but you can finish shooting your free throws. THEN we will just inbound it to your opponents. So no real penalty at all, except he/she sits a tick.