The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

What to do ?

Officiating a boys JV game , ball inbounded from endline into team A's frontcourt . Player A tips the ball on the pass and it goes into the backcourt where my partner (T) calls violation for backcourt. The next dead ball my partner tells us that he blew it and had a brain fart. He asked us what he should have done and we both said that if he knew he made a mistake immediately, then rectify it with an inadvertent whistle or let it go. While driving home he thought that one of us should have gotten involved. I told him that I thought our explanation during the game was appropriate.

Thoughts ?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Officiating a boys JV game , ball inbounded from endline into team A's frontcourt . Player A tips the ball on the pass and it goes into the backcourt where my partner (T) calls violation for backcourt. The next dead ball my partner tells us that he blew it and had a brain fart. He asked us what he should have done and we both said that if he knew he made a mistake immediately, then rectify it with an inadvertent whistle or let it go. While driving home he thought that one of us should have gotten involved. I told him that I thought our explanation during the game was appropriate.

Thoughts ?
If he thought he made the wrong call simply make the right on, and change your whistle to an IW. But once the ball is put in play its to late.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:46pm
Back from the DL

I had a partner make the same mistake a few years ago. I went to help him immediately, and he changed it to an IW. No complaints.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts ?
Sometimes you can just give "a look" that leads the calling official to question the call / initiate the conference.

If you go in initially, you might lead to being asked to go in all times after that, and you don't want to do that.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Being that you had throwin coverage, you had to be looking at where the ball was tipped in order to know when to have the clock started. You could know that there had never been team control inbounds on the play and would know that he was making a rules error....one that is not uncommon. I've gone to partners on more than one occasion in this case to have a conversation about the rule. If they say they had a catch before it went to the backcourt, end of discussion. If you know a rule is being kicked and you do nothing about it, you kicked it too.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 03:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Being that you had throwin coverage, you had to be looking at where the ball was tipped in order to know when to have the clock started. You could know that there had never been team control inbounds on the play and would know that he was making a rules error....one that is not uncommon. I've gone to partners on more than one occasion in this case to have a conversation about the rule. If they say they had a catch before it went to the backcourt, end of discussion. If you know a rule is being kicked and you do nothing about it, you kicked it too.
Agreed. I'm moving more towards this way of thinking on this particular play.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback , lesson learned
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Partners are on their own with judgment calls, but I will come offer information if someone is misapplying a rule.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officiating a boys JV game
IMO this signals a good time for a teaching moment...assuming he is a younger official. If that is the case I lean towards blowing the whistle and helping out. I could be convinced the other way too.