The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
While certainly a suspect intentional foul, it did not "hand" the game to the home team.
Exactly. The team that got fouled was already winning.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That is, IMHO, a crap comment, Camron. He did not "give" them 4 free throws. To make a comment like that puts you in the same category as the fan who initially posted the video.

Argue whether or not it was an IF all day. But #3 in blue earned his T. To turn around and say that the official gave the other team free throws is just wrong.

For the record, I would not have had an IF on that play either. But if a partner did, so be it.
Not to mention that the player who committed the intentional then shoved a player about the same time #3 was earning his T.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not to mention that the player who committed the intentional then shoved a player about the same time #3 was earning his T.
Reminds me of a game (my first this year) BV level. In the final 90 seconds I had 2 T's on the visiting teams players. They were up by 2 points and each T the home team was in the bonus, so they got the opportunity for 3 FT's each time AND the ball.

The home team ended up winning by 3.

First T, kid that fouled out said "Open your eyes"

Second T, after I called a foul 80 feet away from the basket the kid that fouled yelled "No" and slammed the ball (granted he caught the ball so it didn't go over his head, but that didn't matter).

Right after that the same team's AC was close to a T, I just looked at the HC and told him "He's about to cost you 2 FT's and the ball".

Did I give that game away? Nope, each kid earned their T, and I would have the same outcome 100% of the time.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Reminds me of a game (my first this year) BV level. In the final 90 seconds I had 2 T's on the visiting teams players. They were up by 2 points and each T the home team was in the bonus, so they got the opportunity for 3 FT's each time AND the ball.

The home team ended up winning by 3.

First T, kid that fouled out said "Open your eyes"

Second T, after I called a foul 80 feet away from the basket the kid that fouled yelled "No" and slammed the ball (granted he caught the ball so it didn't go over his head, but that didn't matter).

Right after that the same team's AC was close to a T, I just looked at the HC and told him "He's about to cost you 2 FT's and the ball".

Did I give that game away? Nope, each kid earned their T, and I would have the same outcome 100% of the time.
Why are you giving three FTs for a T?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Interestingly enough, the very next play is another intentional foul called with the same two participants involved. Play starts at 1:02:40.
After the FT's on this play (IF#2), crew had White's throw-in from the division line.
IF was whistled in White's BC.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
They were up by 2 points and each T the home team was in the bonus, so they got the opportunity for 3 FT's each time AND the ball.
Maybe I am just too tired at the moment, but . Could you please tell me how a T is in any way getting them 3 free throws instead of 2 and ball at division line?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
After the FT's on this play (IF#2), crew had White's throw-in from the division line.
IF was whistled in White's BC.
Not just in the BC, but in the FT lane. Ball should have been on the end-line for the TI.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:41pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And the plain fact is that several officials on this forum agreed with the IF call. So we can't even all agree that this was a bad call.
By my count there are 18 different people participating in this thread. Also by my count only 2 (Freddy, bainsy) have agreed with the Intentional foul.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why are you giving three FTs for a T?
Sorry should have said 4. 2 potential for the 1 and 1 and 2 for the T.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on how you define several...

Count me in with those who have an intentional foul to go along with the T. By rule, if the player is not making a play on the ball it is an intentional foul. I see the defender grab the dribbler from behind with both hands almost in the fashion of a bear hug. I see no problem with how it was called and probably would have called it the same if I were there. Also note, that the opposing coach stood up immediately calling for the flagrant so others saw it that way when it happened as well (I know several of you will want to blast that statement with some comment about coaches dictating calls but I am ony including it to demonstrate that it was seen that way by him). And, any T that resulted is to be blamed on the player. It does not matter why he disagrees with the call or how bad a call may be a player should never comment or demonstrate in an unsporting manner.

Finally, for any of us to question the honesty and credibility of other officials is unprofessional and counter productive. I don't know one guy nor have I heard of one game from my area where an official cheated. As they like to say in grade school, when you point a finger at someone there are four pointing back at you.

I hope in the future some of you more regular posters can stop trying so hard to find fault with others and stick to discusing / debating rules and situations. I enjoy coming to the forum to learn from each of you but find it hard to wade through the constant negativity of some posters.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rich, I think you've misread the posts. No one here (that I recall) has suggested these officials lacked integrity. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm not going to blast you for noting the coach's response, I'm only going to say it doesn't matter. Half the head coaches think all fouls in the last minute are intentional. I think the kid was going for the ball, he just went through the offensive player to get to it. Like I said before, though, this probably wasn't even the worst call of the game.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Adam,

There were a few hints at it here but I was also referencing past threads as well. It seems that often times we get caught up in criticizing the official (about things that don't impact the actual call) instead of concentrating on the situation or rule.

And, I know that my soap box rantings really only apply to 5 or 6 of the regulars. Most posters here are positive and I enjoy the academic discussions from which I can learn or see things from different perspectives.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rich, I think you've misread the posts. No one here (that I recall) has suggested these officials lacked integrity. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Precisely. I only am saying that a call that was a poor call lead to the circumstances that drew the T compounding the magnitude of the situation.

I never said or implied anything questing the integrity or honesty of the official....just that his poor call selection had a greater impact than the call itself.

An as far as how many here are agreeing with the IF, it is a very small number....I think I only saw 1 or 2. They player's hand was reaching right at the ball. He doesn't have to be successful at getting the ball for it to be common. We also tend to automatically support other officials who call T's, sometimes without objectively considering the situation.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 07:13pm.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
It seems that often times we get caught up in criticizing the official
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I only am saying that a call that was a poor call lead to the circumstances that drew the T compounding the magnitude of the situation.
We are not saying the T was unwarranted, we are just saying we wish the official got the play right in the first place. Just like that play in the UCONN game and just like a play I had on Saturday. If I get the first play right, my partner doesn't have to make a very tough call on the ensuing action.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 12:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Common foul. But the T was deserved I'm sure. Too bad he upgraded the foul to an INT though.

Having said that, I would definitely talk to B1 because I do think he unnecessarily contacted A1.

I do see the bear hug and the arm hook was a poor attempt to play the ball, imho. And I say this even as A1 embellished. I may speak to him too.