The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've got a common foul, but I'd hardly say calling it intentional qualifies it as a "horrible" call.
You're kind.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

While certainly a suspect intentional foul, it did not "hand" the game to the home team.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Might part of whether this is intentional or common depend on whether Blue had been "trying to foul" before this?

I'm sure it does vary by area as well.
I would hope not. The foul should be judged on the contact, not their desire to get the clock stopped.

The foul wasn't excessive contact and while it may have been designed to stop the clock, he was actually poking at the ball....which keeps it common.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
While certainly a suspect intentional foul, it did not "hand" the game to the home team.
Giving someone 4 FTs and possession sure makes it close, however.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Interestingly enough, the very next play is another intentional foul called with the same two participants involved. Play starts at 1:02:40.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:47pm
We don't rent pigs

What gets lost in all this is that so many people consider every bad call (which I agree this was) to be a conspiracy. He made a call against us. He obviously is cheating so we would lose. end of story. Who knows? This guy may make bad calls every night.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Anyone notice where he put the ball in play after the second intentional? And if the first intentional foul was in fact intentional, then why wasn't the foul after the second intentional also an intentional foul?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is, IMHO, a crap comment, Camron. He did not "give" them 4 free throws. To make a comment like that puts you in the same category as the fan who initially posted the video.

Argue whether or not it was an IF all day. But #3 in blue earned his T. To turn around and say that the official gave the other team free throws is just wrong.

For the record, I would not have had an IF on that play either. But if a partner did, so be it.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheaters ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
He did not "give" them 4 free throws.
Agree. The technical foul was earned. There shouldn't be any more discussion about the technical, or the free throws taken as a result of the technical.

Maybe the intentional foul was the wrong call. Maybe it was the correct call.

No official that I've worked with over the past thirty-three years would cheat to keep a streak alive. Such officials might exist, but I've never met one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No official that I've worked with over the past thirty-three years would cheat to keep a streak alive. Such officials might exist, but I've never met one.
You think they would either (a) boast about it or (b) even say such a thing?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Probably not, but there'd be a few. There'd also be a few where you'd suspect such a scruple gap.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not getting anything out of a 2 on 1 break (missed two from three feet) then getting stripped started this whole mess.

Could have been only down 4 with 24 seconds remaining had someone not popped off... Then a stupid intentional foul on the throw-in sealed it.

Poor decision by the T, but he didn't hand them the game.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Of Course, I've Never Worked With Tim Donaghy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I doubt it, but I have never heard any of my partners ever mention, or even joke about, how good, or bad, it would be to end, or to continue, a winning streak with a call; or how good, or bad, it would be to cause a team to win, or to lose, with a call.

I've had partners that I've considered to have made bad calls, but I've never worked with anyone who made a series of bad calls in a game that favored one team, or the other. Also, I've never worked with a partner who made what I may have considered to be a bad call to end a close game.

I've never even heard rumors about officials cheating.

I've worked thousands of game, and I've never cared one way, or the other, who won those games. I trust that my partners have had similar attitudes.

But, maybe I'm looking at the world through rose colored glasses. I've been known to do that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 07:07pm.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That is, IMHO, a crap comment, Camron. He did not "give" them 4 free throws. To make a comment like that puts you in the same category as the fan who initially posted the video.

Argue whether or not it was an IF all day. But #3 in blue earned his T. To turn around and say that the official gave the other team free throws is just wrong.

For the record, I would not have had an IF on that play either. But if a partner did, so be it.
The point is that the one bad call created the situation which led to the T. Without it, there would not have been a T. Yes, the player bears responsibility for his actions in triggering the T but the official is not free from fault. They both messed up. To say otherwise or to try to say the two calls have nothing to do with each other is just ignoring reality.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
The point is that the one bad call created the situation which led to the T. Without it, there would not have been a T. Yes, the player bears responsibility for his actions in triggering the T but the official is not free from fault. They both messed up. To say otherwise or to try to say the two calls have nothing to do with each other is just ignoring reality.
Nice try.

Bad/incorrect calls are made all the time. And the plain fact is that several officials on this forum agreed with the IF call. So we can't even all agree that this was a bad call.

That player is responsible for his actions. He earned that T.

You threw a fellow official under the bus, saying he "gave" them four free throws. Feeds right into the perception that some people have that we all cheat. Again, argue the correctness of a call, but don't say the official was cheating ( and yes, that is what you were saying).