The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Academic ...

This post is about a test question situation, but it really happened in my game today, so I'd like some advice. Also, it's a "Fashion Police" question, so if you don't like "Fashion Police" test questions, then please move on, because there's nothing to see here.

Let me also note that this occurred in a Catholic middle school "junior varsity" game, involving fifth, and sixth, graders. My assigner wants all "Fashion Police" rules (headbands, wristbands, undershirts, etc.) enforced in this league, and has threatened not to pay us if we don't enforce said rules (probably an idle threat, but I don't want to be the first test case).

First half. A1 is wearing a blue (team color) headband. No one else on her team is wearing a headband. Second half. A1 is still wearing her blue headband, but now A2 is wearing a white headband. As A2 steps onto the court for the start of the second half, I stop her, and inform her that she can't wear her white headband because everyone on her team must have the same color headband, and that A1 is already wearing a blue headband. A2 asks A1 to remove her blue headband, but before A1 removes it, I followup and say (off the top off my head) to A2, "No, you can't switch headband colors in the middle of the game". So A2 removed her white headband and we played on.

Comments, from interested Forum members, please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 04:31pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:55pm
beware big brother

Fashion rules are stupid. I think you are wrong. I don't see anything in the rules that prevent a team from changing the color of the headbands they are wearing.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like policing, but ....

I don't think there is any rule support for your statement. As long as every player on a team complies, I think they can swith back and forth as much as they want. Just send them off/ don't let them in if they don't follow the rules.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:12pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My assigner wants all "Fashion Police" rules (headbands, wristbands, undershirts, etc.) enforced in this league, and has threatened not to pay us if we don't enforce said rules (probably an idle threat, but I don't want to be the first test case).
I'd question the legality of such follow-through. Removing or cutting down on assignments is one thing; not paying for what you worked is quite another.

As for the play, I'd go right to the HC and say, "choose one." I doubt it matters which one was first, but I'd go to the local interpreter on that one.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:14pm
NFHS Official

They have to be the same color. Blue or white. Who cares what they started with.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

OOO.

Not surprising.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Let 'em switch, regardless of the level of the game.

NFHS 3-5-4a states "Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants." As was mentioned, there's nothing in the rule about changing colors midstream. As long as they all conform to the change it should be fine.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stepped Right In It ...

That will teach me to interpret something ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... off the top off my head
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'd allow the team to switch colors because there is no rule against it.

Let me push the issue further. Visiting team is wearing blue jerseys. They play poorly during the first half and in order to change their luck they decide to switch to red jerseys for the 2nd half.

Any rule prohibiting the entire team from changing? All numbers match the previous jerseys.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Let them change once for the reasons cited by others.

If they want to switch back, deny it based on the issue that now the doors are open to change multiple times per game, which I'm certain the Fed doesn't want to have happen. It's just not part of basketball.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Let them change once for the reasons cited by others.

If they want to switch back, deny it based on the issue that now the doors are open to change multiple times per game, which I'm certain the Fed doesn't want to have happen. It's just not part of basketball.
That doesn't make sense. You can't arbitrarily decide that they may change only once when that isn't in the book. Either they can change colors because they rules allow it or they can't because the rules prohibit it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 01:20pm.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Food For Thought ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Visiting team is wearing blue jerseys. They play poorly during the first half and in order to change their luck they decide to switch to red jerseys for the 2nd half.
Good example. Even the numbers can be changed after reporting the change to the scorer, and an official.

If the numbers can be changed, then why not the color of jerseys, headbands, wristbands, etc.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
A pedantic reply

The rule doesn't mention timing, just that "the same color must be worn by teammates." So if A1 wears a blue headband in the first half and A2 wears a white headband in the second half, then we have teammates that are wearing different colored headbands, and so are in violation of the rule. Does that fly?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
The rule doesn't mention timing, just that "the same color must be worn by teammates." So if A1 wears a blue headband in the first half and A2 wears a white headband in the second half, then we have teammates that are wearing different colored headbands, and so are in violation of the rule. Does that fly?
In the 2012-2013 book, the rule states "participants" not "teammates."

I view "participants" as being the equivalent of "players."
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In the 2012-2013 book, the rule states "participants" not "teammates."

I view "participants" as being the equivalent of "players."
I was quoting the NCAAW book, since that's what we use here in NYS for girl's basketball.

Is there a definition of "participant" in the NFHS rulebook?