The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

James Harden traveled last night. Not called.

Dribble ended with left foot as pivot foot. Lifts pivot foot while stepping back. While ball is still in hand, his left pivot foot hits the floor. Travel.

4-44-3a
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

No...just no. You're wrong. It wasn't called because this isn't a travel under NBA rules.

First off, you're trying to claim a travel...by quoting the NFHS rule book in an NBA game.. Rule 10, Section XIII is what you should be referring to if you want to discuss a traveling violation in an NBA game.

Second, Harden did not travel...at all. In this play, Harden gathered the ball with his left foot on the floor then jumped off that foot. Now the next part will be a judgement call and will determine what Harden can do next:

1.) If you judged that to be close enough to simultaneous, then Harden would be able to pivot with either foot as this would be a player coming to a stop on step 1.

2.) If you you want to say the right foot landed first after the gather, then the left, then the right foot landing would be step 1, and the left foot coming back down would be step 2. The right foot would be the pivot foot if you judge the play this way.

Either way, this is not a travel under NBA rules. Now if you want to judge this play applying NFHS rules, then go ahead, but you should probably make mention of that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

APG could not be more correct....this is NOT a travel per the appropriate rule set.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Sorry for not making my question clear and concise. I should of started, "Under NFHS rules, would this move be a traveling violation".....
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Sorry for not making my question clear and concise. I should of started, "Under NFHS rules, would this move be a traveling violation".....
Probably -- but I think it would be hard to get in real life. Did he push off to cause the defense to fly back like that? Did he gather on the floor or in the air? If he gathered on the floor, was this a successful / legal jump stop?

By the time you process all that, even if you hadn't thought he was going to drive (as did the defense), you'd be hard-pressed to get the travel.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 09:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Probably -- but I think it would be hard to get in real life. Did he push off to cause the defense to fly back like that? Did he gather on the floor or in the air? If he gathered on the floor, was this a successful / legal jump stop?

By the time you process all that, even if you hadn't thought he was going to drive (as did the defense), you'd be hard-pressed to get the travel.
I agree. And it is not a very obvious action that looks like a travel.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Even under NFHS rules I don't see that as a travel. The dribble doesn't clearly end until his step back foot is on the floor, so that becomes his pivot. The final angle at :55 or so shows it best. The dribble may end a hair shy of the back foot being down, but full speed, its good. That's how I see it anyway.

The only thing close to a travel is when he first jab steps his back foot (pivot foot) might move slightly, but its nothing I'm calling.

Last edited by ballgame99; Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 09:17am.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

If this were a high school game, Harden would have been called for travelling after receiving the pass and changing his pivot a couple times, so the rest is moot.