The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
Billy. We will need video to confirm if this is proper!
No we won't.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:17pm
We don't rent pigs

The job of the mascot is to entertain the crowd, and if this entertainment includes making an ass out of somebody else, so be it. I would think making an ass out of an official would make it that much better, in the eyes of the average fan. I don't see gender as an issue.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:26pm
We don't rent pigs

And by the way, it isn't a woman. I would have bet that is wasn't.

The Bear facts: The Utah Jazz 16-year mascot, Bear, balances life of court jester, charity king | Deseret News

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well gender is a role to many and would be a big factor to many. People should respect each other's space and I am not so sure I would have just stood there not knowing anything about who is in the suit. Then again, that is me. Just like I would not make certain gestures or comments to a 16 year old cheerleader at a HS game because someone would take that comment a different way than possibly intended as opposed to saying something similar to an adult.

As a matter of fact I was on a game where an official had to go to court for assault because a parent was offended by the official running into a female cheerleader. So, yes, gender matters in these cases more than most of you would ever know or admit. And I repeat, if I knew who was in the suit that would have a great deal with my reaction. If many here do not care, that is fine, but I am very careful that I say to mascots or cheerleaders because something you think is not a big deal, because a big deal. I know someone that just got fired for saying that a HS cheerleader was "hot."

Peace
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
People should respect each other's space and I am not so sure I would have just stood there not knowing anything about who is in the suit.
I heartily agree with this part.

No matter who is in the suit:

"Take it somewhere else, bear."

"Not kidding, bear. Get away from me."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As a matter of fact I was on a game where an official had to go to court for assault because a parent was offended by the official running into a female cheerleader.
I'm hoping the cheerleaders from the home team last Friday night aren't itching for a lawsuit, because on one of the first trips down the floor as Lead that night, I wiped out about three of them and sent them into the wall. I was going to say something to them about backing up, but the next time I looked they had gotten the hint and gave us plenty of room the rest of the night.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 09:33am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I often wonder if tapping my foot to a catchy tune during a time out, or an intermission, would be considered unprofessional in my high school games?

Comments please.
I'm more worried about not getting drilled by a cheerleader doing back-handsprings down the sideline.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 10:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Mark handled this perfectly.

You don't want robots out there who just ignore attention from mascots. That will make them seem cold, unapproachable, etc. Instead, Mark danced with him for a few seconds. That gets people to laugh and then he goes back to being professional, as we need referees to be.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 10:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
You don't want robots out there who just ignore attention from mascots. That will make them seem cold, unapproachable, etc. Instead, Mark danced with him for a few seconds. That gets people to laugh and then he goes back to being professional, as we need referees to be.
I agree with this. I just look at the expressions on all the people's faces in the stands and know the NBE looks at this as just another part of their "entertainment package" and would approve of the official handling it just as he did. Kudos.