The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well...it's a start

As some may remember, I started my road back to officiating about 6 months ago after a forced vacation (cardiac issues). Saturday I officiated for the first time in over four years. It was only 8th grade YMCA but it was four games and two of them were decent games. Felt good to get back on the floor, see action and make calls. I only had one “incident” with a coach.

Third game halfway through the second quarter; I am T and A1 is dribbling a few feet from me facing the basket. B1 comes out to guard and reaches in at the ball, tips it away a little toward the sideline. A1 attempts to recover but right after he touches the ball B1 tips it again and it heads toward the backcourt. I had stepped onto the floor further before this started to get a better angle (in hind sight I probably should have stepped down toward the baseline) so now the ball and both players are coming at me. I jump to the side and barely avoid them and the ball as they go into the backcourt where A1 recovers and brings it back across. The visiting coach immediately starts screaming for a BC violation and I just shake my head no. A few moments later his player commits a BC violation and when I call it he starts all over again. There is a time out granted by my partner at the dead ball and the coach asks about the first play I just say “Your player tipped the ball last coach.” He starts in on how I should have given the tipped signal so I ask “Would you rather have the tip signal or have me get out of the way?” He said “Get out of the way…” so I say “You’re welcome” and start to walk away. He is still saying something but frankly I have stopped listening but he gets louder. I face him and say “That’s enough, you have been warned.” He shuts his mouth and the rest of the game goes smoothly. Afterwards I am thinking “I missed this?” but honestly…the answer is “Yes…I did.”

Now just keep working to get ready for high school ball next season.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've found it incredibly difficult to remember the "tipped ball" signal for backcourt. My first instinct as the Trail when the ball is tipped into the backcourt by the defense is not to stand in place and signal -- its to sprint after the two (or more) players chasing the ball in the backcourt so that I can get into a good position to officiate the play and any fast break the other direction that follows.

I guess it just takes some time getting used to.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks for the update

Welcome back to the court!

Good luck on your continued recovery!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:52pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I've found it incredibly difficult to remember the "tipped ball" signal for backcourt. My first instinct as the Trail when the ball is tipped into the backcourt by the defense is not to stand in place and signal -- its to sprint after the two (or more) players chasing the ball in the backcourt so that I can get into a good position to officiate the play and any fast break the other direction that follows.
IMHO, that's what you should be doing. Get where you need to be to officiate the play, you can always give the tipped ball signal once you're in the the backcourt or after a Team A player has clearly gained possession of the ball.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

You can "run and tip" at the same time.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Q-Tips ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
He starts in on how I should have given the tipped signal ...
I knew in the back of my mind that there was something wrong with this new signal. Now I know why I thought that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can "run and tip" at the same time.
And if not (as the OP was trying to get out of the way) you can also give the tip signal when the Coach starts chirping about not calling BC. Lets the Coach know what you saw right then and there.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:53pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Afterwards I am thinking “I missed this?” but honestly…the answer is “Yes…I did.”
Awesome.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Next time a coach wants a tip signal tell him to call a mohel.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As some may remember, I started my road back to officiating about 6 months ago after a forced vacation (cardiac issues). Saturday I officiated for the first time in over four years.
Welcome back! Btw, love the screen name.

Quote:
A few moments later his player commits a BC violation and when I call it he starts all over again.
Hope that you haven't become soft in your time away. I likely whack the coach at this point. I'm not going to tolerate a coach questioning calls repeatedly.

Quote:
He is still saying something but frankly I have stopped listening but he gets louder.
I definitely whack him here. You webt the extra mile to speak to him and now he is just being disrespectful.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:02pm
Never Stop Learning

In addition if the ball is tipped into the back court by B we have 2 signals to give at the same time. Ten second count and the tip signal. Welcome back!