View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well...it's a start

As some may remember, I started my road back to officiating about 6 months ago after a forced vacation (cardiac issues). Saturday I officiated for the first time in over four years. It was only 8th grade YMCA but it was four games and two of them were decent games. Felt good to get back on the floor, see action and make calls. I only had one “incident” with a coach.

Third game halfway through the second quarter; I am T and A1 is dribbling a few feet from me facing the basket. B1 comes out to guard and reaches in at the ball, tips it away a little toward the sideline. A1 attempts to recover but right after he touches the ball B1 tips it again and it heads toward the backcourt. I had stepped onto the floor further before this started to get a better angle (in hind sight I probably should have stepped down toward the baseline) so now the ball and both players are coming at me. I jump to the side and barely avoid them and the ball as they go into the backcourt where A1 recovers and brings it back across. The visiting coach immediately starts screaming for a BC violation and I just shake my head no. A few moments later his player commits a BC violation and when I call it he starts all over again. There is a time out granted by my partner at the dead ball and the coach asks about the first play I just say “Your player tipped the ball last coach.” He starts in on how I should have given the tipped signal so I ask “Would you rather have the tip signal or have me get out of the way?” He said “Get out of the way…” so I say “You’re welcome” and start to walk away. He is still saying something but frankly I have stopped listening but he gets louder. I face him and say “That’s enough, you have been warned.” He shuts his mouth and the rest of the game goes smoothly. Afterwards I am thinking “I missed this?” but honestly…the answer is “Yes…I did.”

Now just keep working to get ready for high school ball next season.