The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:50pm
Go Blue

Last Second Foul

Just getting some frustration out, let me know if didn't do something right.

Had a good 8th grade CYO game, both teams very good. Tie game with 13 seconds left, H has the ball, V has one foul to give and they foul the ball handler. 6.6 seconds left, I inbound the ball near the table as the T, after a couple of seconds of dribbling, the player drives the lane, gets by his defender, but 2 others collapse and he pulls up for the shot. One of the defenders arm comes across the shooters arms, preventing him from finishing the shot. I blow my whistle, raise my fist, and have a foul. 1.2 seconds left. My partner has nothing. Of course the V crowd and coach go crazy. We administer the free throws, he makes the second shot, giving the H team a one point lead. V calls a time out, V coach walks towards me on the court yelling. I T him up. H makes 1 of 2 and in bounds the ball, game over. After the game, my partner tells me, there was definitely a foul, but he was not going to call it. I am not calling some ticky-tack foul or anything, this prevented the shooter from shooting the ball.

I was already a little pissed off with him earlier when form the L position, tried to call an over and back. H had the ballball deep in their corner being double teamed, he throws the ball out to the top high, it gets tipped up and on the way to the backcourt. The player jumps from the front court, tips the ball back to the front court, and lands in the back court. My partner whistles and comes out from the baseline saying he has an over-and-back. I ran to him telling him, no no no. I then hated what I said next, saying THAT IS MY CALL! The opposing coach even was saying it was not an over-and -back. So he backed off his call and we ruled it an IW, giving the ball back to H team since the V had not gotten control before the whistle ( V caught the tip back to the front court).

Last edited by Treeguy; Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 03:14pm.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post
After the game, my partner tells me, there was definitely a foul, but he was not going to call it.
Shame on him.

Quote:
THAT IS MY CALL!
Shame on you.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Other than what you said to your partner as an explanation of the over and back call, it sounds like you took care of bidness. Probably a partner that you want to cross off on your future schedule.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 01:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Shame on him.
Exactly. Just take care of business and remain professional.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 01:08pm
Go Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Shame on him.

Shame on you.
Yea, I know. I was already regretting it as the words came out of my mouth. I have worked with him in the past without incident, and I don't mind my partner making a call in my primary if he has a better view than me, but you cannot call another ref's line.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, thanks a lot partner!!!

Sounds like you made the right call at the end.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would say the way you describe it you made the right call at the end. It's ok to let the players determine the outcome of the game but if theres an obvious foul committed you gotta call it.
What is a little troubling to me is your partner calling over and back from the lead postion in the frontcourt. Presuming you were 100% certain he was mistaken what i would have done is after he made the call I would have blown my whistle. Then I would have motioned him over, chase the players away and quietly (not loudly where everyone can hear) tell him that you were in pristine position, briefly describe what you saw and indicate there was no over and back. Possession stays the same. Your not showing him up, but instead your getting it right.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:45pm
M.A.S.H.

What's a "ticky-tack" foul?

It's either a foul or it's not. Sounds like you got the call right!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
It's ok to let the players determine the outcome of the game but if theres an obvious foul committed you gotta call it.
That statement (the "but" and "obvious") makes no sense. A player who fouls (helps) "determine the outcome of the game."
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... Of course the V crown and coach go crazy...
Then you must have royally screwed this one up...LOL
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:20pm
Go Blue

What was really funny is the AD was doing the clock and after the ft for the T, the V crowd was still at it, and the AD started announcing that we are a Christian community and need to show respect to the players and refs. That only got the crowd into more of a frenzy. But luckily, there were no incidents on the way out.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was really funny is the AD was doing the clock and after the ft for the T, the V crowd was still at it, and the AD started announcing that we are a Christian community and need to show respect to the players and refs. That only got the crowd into more of a frenzy. But luckily, there were no incidents on the way out.
I have more problems (multiple sports, not just BB) at Christian schools than at public. Not because of the religion, perhaps --- but I think because those parents who are paying craploads of money for their kids to play sports at certain schools feel like they are entitled, whereas those at public schools don't, and get out of hand far less often.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Boy, it sure appears people get fired up for 8th grade ball. What is it going to be like when the games actually count?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is it going to be like when the games actually count?
What do you mean?! Haven't you noticed all of the D1 coaches scouting players at 8th grade CYO games?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
What do you mean?! Haven't you noticed all of the D1 coaches scouting players at 8th grade CYO games?
Nope...they're already picked their players by the 5th grade so they have no need to come to the 8th grade games.