The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ft, "t"

I called a foul on a player, 2 shots, I went to the table to report it. As I am doing so, the coach of the offending team, asks for an explanation.

Players line up and my partner begins the first FT. I explain to the coach that his player hit the arm of the shooter. Coach says, " I demand an explanation" I say, " I just gave you the explanation"

I turn to see the shooter begin his shooting motion and the coach yells " That's a bunch of crap" I turn to the coach blow my whistle and "T" him up, turn back and see the FT in the air. Shot misses, but since I blew as the kid was beginning his motion, I called the shot off and gave him 2 again.

Yes, I should have held my whistle until after the first FT, but emotion got the best of me.

Should I have give the FT shooter the first shot over again? I don't believe that the ball had left his hand when I blew.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Read the definition of continuous motion.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

if the coach was loud enough - disconcertion is your catch-all.

Other than that lesson learned .
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 09:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I called a foul on a player, 2 shots, I went to the table to report it. As I am doing so, the coach of the offending team, asks for an explanation.

Players line up and my partner begins the first FT. I explain to the coach that his player hit the arm of the shooter. Coach says, "I demand an explanation" I say, " I just gave you the explanation"

I turn to see the shooter begin his shooting motion and the coach yells " That's a bunch of crap" I turn to the coach blow my whistle and "T" him up, turn back and see the FT in the air. Shot misses, but since I blew as the kid was beginning his motion, I called the shot off and gave him 2 again.

Yes, I should have held my whistle until after the first FT, but emotion got the best of me.

Should I have give the FT shooter the first shot over again? I don't believe that the ball had left his hand when I blew.

Any time a HC demands anything he gets whacked.

If you had your back to the players and your partner because you were talking with the HC, why is your partner administering free throws without you in position?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:42pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Any time a HC demands anything he gets whacked.

If you had your back to the players and your partner because you were talking with the HC, why is your partner administering free throws without you in position?

MTD, Sr.
I tell coaches before the game that if they have any questions then feel free to ask. However, just as I will show them respect, I ask that they do the same for me.

In this case making demands is not respect, and therefore I would have ignored him. If he says another thing that could be construed by even the most thin-skinned referee to be disrespectful, then I whack him.

At that point I'm sure he'll want to know why, and I'd let him know that demanding an explanation from me is disrespectful, therefore he was ignored. Continuing in such a way led to the "t".

BTW, MTD is right... why would your partner administer the free throw while you weren't looking? Take note from that bit of the situation.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
BTW, MTD is right... why would your partner administer the free throw while you weren't looking? Take note from that bit of the situation.
If it's the first of two or three free throws...especially working with 3, then I don't see the issue. If it's a 1 and 1 or we're on the final FT...yeah, get in position partner.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:50pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If it's the first of two or three free throws...especially working with 3, then I don't see the issue. If it's a 1 and 1 or we're on the final FT...yeah, get in position partner.
Terrapins fan just brought up a good reason not to administer a free throw until all officials are looking. So I don't understand being against it. Not unless you think awkward situations are fun to deal with.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't talk to the coach nearly that much, either before or during the game.

If I T a coach for something he says, he knows what it was for: whether he admits it or not.

As for shooting while I'm talking to the coach. I don't have a huge issue with it. Then again, I'm not turning my back on the court to explain a run of the mill shooting foul, either.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Terrapins fan just brought up a good reason not to administer a free throw until all officials are looking. So I don't understand being against it. Not unless you think awkward situations are fun to deal with.
The coach is going to want an explanation...I'm not going to hold up the first of two or the 2nd of 3 while my partner is talking to the coach and out of perfect position. Get whatever you need to sayexplain during that period...get to your position in time for the final shot.

As to the OP, that's just a matter of needing to be a little more patient when giving out the T...unlike a personal foul, there's no need to call the T right away. Live and you learn...we've ball been there before.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Why can't the Trail official listen/explain whatever to the coach while standing in proper position and facing the court? To do otherwise is to put your crew in a bad situation because they are either proceeding a man down or having to wait.
This isn't a time-out, so there shouldn't be any delay in administering the FTs here. Don't be an official that either hurts your crew or unnecessarily holds up the game!
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why can't the Trail official listen/explain whatever to the coach while standing in proper position and facing the court? To do otherwise is to put your crew in a bad situation because they are either proceeding a man down or having to wait.
This isn't a time-out, so there shouldn't be any delay in administering the FTs here. Don't be an official that either hurts your crew or unnecessarily holds up the game!
2nd half of the game...though that should never preclude one from still facing the court while conversing w/the coach.

Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
2nd half of the game...though that should never preclude one from still facing the court while conversing w/the coach.
In that case, how about having a quick word after reporting the foul while near the table and then turning and going to the proper position for the FT?
Isn't this what NCAA Mens officials do as they go opposite table after reporting?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:16am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In that case, how about having a quick word after reporting the foul while near the table and then turning and going to the proper position for the FT?
Isn't this what NCAA Mens officials do as they go opposite table after reporting?
No, we just ignore them, go opposite and then slyly give them a one-finger wave from the other side of the court with a shit-eating grin on our face
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:37am
Stubborn Member

Waiting for your partner to look before administering a free throw doesn't mean waiting for him/her to explain things to the coach. It simply means waiting until said partner is facing your direction and can see what's going on.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Continuous motion applies to personal fouls committed by the defense.

If you blew the whistle before he released the ball, then the ball is dead. He still has two FTs coming.

EDIT: This could also apply to an unsporting T on a player if you called it during continuous motion but it does not apply to a coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 12:21pm.