The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Tech foul at the end of a quarter

At the end of the quarter just after the horn blows we have a Technical foul. After the foul shots are completed and we're ready to start the next quarter do we go with the arrow? Or start the quarter with the team that shot the tech foul?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee20 View Post
At the end of the quarter just after the horn blows we have a Technical foul. After the foul shots are completed and we're ready to start the next quarter do we go with the arrow? Or start the quarter with the team that shot the tech foul?
When does the quarter end? When is the tech called? If you look up the definition of when the quarter ends you will know which quarter the T's count towards.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
When does the quarter end? When is the tech called? If you look up the definition of when the quarter ends you will know which quarter the T's count towards.
As well as when to shoot the technical foul free throws (before or after the intermission).
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Fishing photo reeling-smiley.gif
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As well as when a quarter starts and whether the horn ends the quarter (which I realize is just a subset of when the quarter ends)
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee20 View Post
If the horn ended the quarter (which it sounds like it did in this case), then the penalty (2 shots and the ball to opponent) should have been administered at the start of next quarter and there is no change to the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
If the horn ended the quarter (which it sounds like it did in this case), then the penalty (2 shots and the ball to opponent) should have been administered at the start of next quarter and there is no change to the arrow.
Correct.... but now let's assume that the 2 shots were awarded in the just-concluded quarter. Even if this were an error, the administration of the technical ends with the shots, since there is no time on the clock for the non-offending team to inbound. Thus the next quarter begins with the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RulesGeek View Post
Correct.... but now let's assume that the 2 shots were awarded in the just-concluded quarter. Even if this were an error, the administration of the technical ends with the shots, since there is no time on the clock for the non-offending team to inbound. Thus the next quarter begins with the arrow.
If it was in error, and the error was discovered before the throw-in at the start of the next quarter, then fix it (that is, administer the throw-in for the T, even if the FTs were shot "too early.")
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:27pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If it was in error, and the error was discovered before the throw-in at the start of the next quarter, then fix it (that is, administer the throw-in for the T, even if the FTs were shot "too early.")
Is this a correctable error? I mean, the book doesn't say anything about awarding a merited free throw at the wrong time.

This sounds like an error that can't be corrected, and therefore you'd have to go by what RulesGeek said. The technical foul penalties (free throws and possession) are over with, as they were part of the previous quarter. The next quarter will start normally, with an alternating possession throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

This sounds like an error that can't be corrected, and therefore you'd have to go by what RulesGeek said. The technical foul penalties (free throws and possession) are over with, as they were part of the previous quarter. The next quarter will start normally, with an alternating possession throw-in.
This wouldn't be correcting an error. The free throws were improperly awarded. That part is over. Move on to the rest of the penalty which is a throw-in at the division line to start play in the quarter.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:45pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This wouldn't be correcting an error. The free throws were improperly awarded. That part is over. Move on to the rest of the penalty which is a throw-in at the division line to start play in the quarter.
I wasn't sure you could award both parts of the technical foul penalty separately like that.

thanks
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wasn't sure you could award both parts of the technical foul penalty separately like that.

thanks
2 wrongs wont make a right. I agree with JAR.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:14pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
2 wrongs wont make a right. I agree with JAR.
I'm trying to avoid the second "wrong".
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 09:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid the second "wrong".

The wrong has already happened. Starting the quarter with possession by the offended team is "right".

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this a correctable error? I mean, the book doesn't say anything about awarding a merited free throw at the wrong time.

It's an error, and it's correctable, but it's not a Correctable Error.

THere's some case play where both teams are to shoot FTs, but they are shot in the wrong order. As long as the FTs are shot, it's fine.

A CE is for failing to shoot FTs, or shooting unmerited FTs, etc. None of that happened.