The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Foul on last play of quarter in NCAA

I have a question about NCAA rule enforcement (I am an official in Canada so please excuse my ignorance.)

I am watching A&M and Texas play today and at the end of the first quarter the defence went offside before the snap with about 3 seconds left. This dead ball penalty gave the offense a first down. However, the clock ran at the ready for play and the first quarter ended and the teams switched ends.

My question is does this not give the opportunity for the defense to affect what quarter (and hence what direction) the offense plays the next play in? If there was a wind worth 15-20 yards and it was say 4th and 10 very near the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter, the defense could purposesly go offside to cause the quarter to change. This would give them an undue advantage.

In the Canadian rule set we do not allow any quarter to change on an accepted foul to give the offense the right to have the next play in the same direction as the previous one.

Thanks.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Time has to expire during the down in order to have an untimed down (period extension). Ref can always invoke "the rule" and hold, or start, clock if they believe a team fouled intentionally to waste or conserve time.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. It looks like a nice sunny and warm day in Texas so I do not think any advantage was gained (except maybe for sun in their eyes!)
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you stayed on the couch and are watching Nebraska/Colorado you just saw a case of extending a period.

DPI on Col, Holding on Neb, time in 3'rd quarter expired.
Penalties offset by rule, replay down.