The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

What Would YOU Do...(video)

Saw this clip and I wondered if I would make call on this play if I was the T. Thoughts?

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Someone needs to have a whistle here. It's okay for T to grab it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I agree...there needs to be a whistle. To me, either the T of C should get the call becuase the drive started in the T's area and went into the C's area. Makes you wonder what level of contact is needed for that C to blow her whistle...looks like she had a very clear and unobstructed view of the play.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a whistle at just about any position and I have a charge. It is in transition and anyone can and should have a foul in the lane IMO.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:41am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I agree...there needs to be a whistle. To me, either the T of C should get the call becuase the drive started in the T's area and went into the C's area. Makes you wonder what level of contact is needed for that C to blow her whistle...looks like she had a very clear and unobstructed view of the play.
The T would be making an educated guess on this play at best. There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be. This is the L or C all the way. There needs to be a whistle on this play, so I wouldn't have a problem with the T cleaning it up late, even though he does not have the best look and probably hasn't seen the whole play.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a whistle at just about any position and I have a charge. It is in transition and anyone can and should have a foul in the lane IMO.
Beat me to it ... in transition, any of the three could have put a whistle on this. L is the last line of defense here and if the two outer officials don't have it, the L definitely should make the call.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
The T would be making an educated guess on this play at best. There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be. This is the L or C all the way. There needs to be a whistle on this play, so I wouldn't have a problem with the T cleaning it up late, even though he does not have the best look and probably hasn't seen the whole play.
Someone has to have a whistle on this. And I disagree that the T could not see the secondary defender. Actually they could see the play coming as they are on ball much of this play. Not saying they are ideal and that other officials might not have a better look most of the time, but you could read this coming a mile away. The ball handler never acted like they were going to stop and pull up. But the C should have had this all the way too. Not sure what the hell she was watching?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a whistle and a charge. Learned this one the hard way, years ago, as a newby, in two man. My partner came in hard to close down, took the call and looked at me like,"hey man, you've gotta get that one." Never forgot it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be.
What secondary defender?

After the dribbler blows past #1 above the top of the key, there's only one person in the path of the dribbler.

The T easily should have been able to jump in after the C didn't blow her whistle. He was in great position after hustling down the floor.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

In that spot, we'd give first crack to the L. In the paint, L is king.

Your region may vary.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
What secondary defender?

After the dribbler blows past #1 above the top of the key, there's only one person in the path of the dribbler.

The T easily should have been able to jump in after the C didn't blow her whistle. He was in great position after hustling down the floor.
The person that was trying to take a charge. Right or wrong in many circles this is considered a secondary defender. The dribbler beat two blue players to get to the lane. That is also the definition that is used at higher levels.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:29pm
AremRed

I've been told that everyone in transition is a secondary defender.

Regarding the original question: I don't mind T stepping in here with a late whistle but I'm not going to fault him for not doing so. Looks like defender has and maintains LGP, offensive player went to-and-through, charge.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

When clinicians talk about being a strong center, this is a pretty good example -- although it shouldn't take a terribly strong center to get this one.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I've been told that everyone in transition is a secondary defender.
That's part of the NCAAW definition -- if not the "standard English" definition:

Art. 2. In a fast-break situation, any defensive player(s) initially shall be a
secondary defender.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In that spot, we'd give first crack to the L. In the paint, L is king.

Your region may vary.
I agree. This is L/C area for this call. The T is the last option, and IMO the worst. Makes you wonder what the C is watching.