The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What Would YOU Do...(video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96978-what-would-you-do-video.html)

JetMetFan Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07am

What Would YOU Do...(video)

Saw this clip and I wondered if I would make call on this play if I was the T. Thoughts?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NZvfddZvBP4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bob jenkins Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17am

Someone needs to have a whistle here. It's okay for T to grab it.

BatteryPowered Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37am

I agree...there needs to be a whistle. To me, either the T of C should get the call becuase the drive started in the T's area and went into the C's area. Makes you wonder what level of contact is needed for that C to blow her whistle...looks like she had a very clear and unobstructed view of the play.

JRutledge Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40am

I have a whistle at just about any position and I have a charge. It is in transition and anyone can and should have a foul in the lane IMO.

Peace

johnny d Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 917454)
I agree...there needs to be a whistle. To me, either the T of C should get the call becuase the drive started in the T's area and went into the C's area. Makes you wonder what level of contact is needed for that C to blow her whistle...looks like she had a very clear and unobstructed view of the play.

The T would be making an educated guess on this play at best. There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be. This is the L or C all the way. There needs to be a whistle on this play, so I wouldn't have a problem with the T cleaning it up late, even though he does not have the best look and probably hasn't seen the whole play.

SWMOzebra Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 917456)
I have a whistle at just about any position and I have a charge. It is in transition and anyone can and should have a foul in the lane IMO.

Beat me to it ... in transition, any of the three could have put a whistle on this. L is the last line of defense here and if the two outer officials don't have it, the L definitely should make the call.

JRutledge Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 917457)
The T would be making an educated guess on this play at best. There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be. This is the L or C all the way. There needs to be a whistle on this play, so I wouldn't have a problem with the T cleaning it up late, even though he does not have the best look and probably hasn't seen the whole play.

Someone has to have a whistle on this. And I disagree that the T could not see the secondary defender. Actually they could see the play coming as they are on ball much of this play. Not saying they are ideal and that other officials might not have a better look most of the time, but you could read this coming a mile away. The ball handler never acted like they were going to stop and pull up. But the C should have had this all the way too. Not sure what the hell she was watching?

Peace

stir22 Thu Jan 09, 2014 01:44pm

I've got a whistle and a charge. Learned this one the hard way, years ago, as a newby, in two man. My partner came in hard to close down, took the call and looked at me like,"hey man, you've gotta get that one." Never forgot it.

asdf Thu Jan 09, 2014 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 917457)
There is no way the T is watching the secondary defender on this play and he shouldn't be.

What secondary defender?

After the dribbler blows past #1 above the top of the key, there's only one person in the path of the dribbler.

The T easily should have been able to jump in after the C didn't blow her whistle. He was in great position after hustling down the floor.

Rich Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:12pm

In that spot, we'd give first crack to the L. In the paint, L is king.

Your region may vary.

JRutledge Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 917486)
What secondary defender?

After the dribbler blows past #1 above the top of the key, there's only one person in the path of the dribbler.

The T easily should have been able to jump in after the C didn't blow her whistle. He was in great position after hustling down the floor.

The person that was trying to take a charge. Right or wrong in many circles this is considered a secondary defender. The dribbler beat two blue players to get to the lane. That is also the definition that is used at higher levels.

Peace

AremRed Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:29pm

I've been told that everyone in transition is a secondary defender.

Regarding the original question: I don't mind T stepping in here with a late whistle but I'm not going to fault him for not doing so. Looks like defender has and maintains LGP, offensive player went to-and-through, charge.

Rich Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:33pm

When clinicians talk about being a strong center, this is a pretty good example -- although it shouldn't take a terribly strong center to get this one.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 917495)
I've been told that everyone in transition is a secondary defender.

That's part of the NCAAW definition -- if not the "standard English" definition:

Art. 2. In a fast-break situation, any defensive player(s) initially shall be a
secondary defender.

deecee Thu Jan 09, 2014 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 917489)
In that spot, we'd give first crack to the L. In the paint, L is king.

Your region may vary.

I agree. This is L/C area for this call. The T is the last option, and IMO the worst. Makes you wonder what the C is watching.