The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
chseagle is a high school scorekeeper, he wouldn't know.

And what do you mean by "do they need college officials"? If they are part of a conference is very, very, very likely that the conference has a supervisor of officials who hires refs for the league.

Usually it's only those small, independent non-NCAA, non-NAIA schools that self-hire officials just for their own games.

Bottomline though, is if these guys are good (and I'm not doubting they are), they need to get out to some camps outside of Utah, and they will be noticed and start getting on conference supervisors' radars.
A few of them have been going to camps outside of Utah and are getting noticed. They are looking to move so I thought I would put some feelers out to any parts of the country that had a nice concentration of schools and a need for more officials. I appreciate all the advice and hope it keeps coming.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

As has been mentioned...Southern California.

Many, many, JUCO, D3, D2, NAIA, etc schools in the area.
However, there are also a lot of officials trying to move up through the ranks so the competiton for those spots on conference rosters is going to be tougher.

I have also heard that there are many areas in the midwest with several small colleges in close proximity that may fit what your associates are looking for.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 05:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Here in my neck of the woods, there's about 6-7 Colleges/universities within 3 hours of one another, plus 5 JUCOs within the same radius.

Unsure how many high schools as there's that many.
Since the supervisors of the conferences that those colleges are in (including the juco ones) already have officials from Utah on their rosters, and Big T says these young guns have been to camps and are getting known...my guess would be that the supervisors out here already know who these people from Utah are.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Since the supervisors of the conferences that those colleges are in (including the juco ones) already have officials from Utah on their rosters, and Big T says these young guns have been to camps and are getting known...my guess would be that the supervisors out here already know who these people from Utah are.
It's one of those situations that you never know until you try.

The numbers I listed are just from memory & distance estimations.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 07:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

My caveat would be not uproot their lives to chase officiating jobs. The opportunities will come.

chseagle, you have to understand, we officials do stuff away from the games you see in order to advance our careers. Those schools in your area, do you know the supervisors to contact, or when/where the camps are? That's info BigT would need.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 08:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Here in my neck of the woods, there's about 6-7 Colleges/universities within 3 hours of one another, plus 5 JUCOs within the same radius.

Unsure how many high schools as there's that many.
Quote:
chseagle is a high school scorekeeper, he wouldn't know.
I think he knows how many colleges and high schools are in his area. That is information that was asked for in the OP.

Quote:
Just because I'm not truly wearing stripes, doesn't mean the information I provide is any less knowledgeable.
Quote:
Are you saying you are privy to the college basketball officiating scene? Do you know any college conference supervisors?
He doesn't have to be an official in order to give info of the number of colleges and high schools in his area.

Quote:
The numbers I listed are just from memory & distance estimations.
Quote:
chseagle, you have to understand, we officials do stuff away from the games you see in order to advance our careers. Those schools in your area, do you know the supervisors to contact, or when/where the camps are? That's info BigT would need.
Not necessarily. Big T asked for info on which parts of the country have high densities of colleges. Despite being just a scorekeeper, I think that is information chseagle is certainly qualified to provide. Telling him he "has to understand" is just patronizing.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My caveat would be not uproot their lives to chase officiating jobs. The opportunities will come.

As with any occupation, continual training for one.

I know I do not have all the information being requested, but at least it's a start.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Helpful resource....

BigT.....

Go to the site PhillyRef.com

Use the Tabs on top of the homepage. Tons of current information on college coordinators and conferences..... both NCAAM & NCAAW. DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and JUCO. All conference member school info. cross referenced by state.

There's a national listing of over 250 officiating camps.....many geared specifically for officials looking to move into or up the collegiate ranks.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I think he knows how many colleges and high schools are in his area. That is information that was asked for in the OP.

He doesn't have to be an official in order to give info of the number of colleges and high schools in his area.

Not necessarily. Big T asked for info on which parts of the country have high densities of colleges. Despite being just a scorekeeper, I think that is information chseagle is certainly qualified to provide. Telling him he "has to understand" is just patronizing.
BigT asked what areas need college officials, especially younger officials. Anybody can Google how many colleges are in a specific area. Knowing what areas are in need of college officials, what areas are prone to hiring younger officials, and what schools use conference supervisors as opposed to self-hiring is a totally different ballgame.

I've been on this board for a while, and I know chseagles's background in regards to officiating. To presume you know better is patronizing to me. And to constantly play the roll of moderator is arrogant on your part. I suggest more rule book study, and less monitoring of other posters.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 09:51am
If you need me, text me!

BigT-

From what I have gathered in listening to guys who have wanted to chase the idea of officiating as a full time job (NBA guys especially) they should consider moving somewhere where there is quality year round baskeetball. In his court club interview Monty McCutchen talks about moving from Texas to Los Angeles in order to pursue both school (a Masters at UCLA) and basketball (eventually in CBA and then the NBA). This year's two new NBA hires (Ben Taylor and Steve Anderson) both live in Orlando. Ben moved to Orlando after completing college in Tennessee. I have heard that a couple of other NBA guys have lived in Atlanta for a time as young officials in order to be in a "hot bed" area.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee View Post
BigT-

From what I have gathered in listening to guys who have wanted to chase the idea of officiating as a full time job (NBA guys especially) they should consider moving somewhere where there is quality year round baskeetball. In his court club interview Monty McCutchen talks about moving from Texas to Los Angeles in order to pursue both school (a Masters at UCLA) and basketball (eventually in CBA and then the NBA). This year's two new NBA hires (Ben Taylor and Steve Anderson) both live in Orlando. Ben moved to Orlando after completing college in Tennessee. I have heard that a couple of other NBA guys have lived in Atlanta for a time as young officials in order to be in a "hot bed" area.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Right now, North Carolina and Virginia seem to be hotbeds for the D-League. NC has Joe Forte supervisiong a D1 & D2 conference. Virginia is home to George Tolliver and Donnie Vaden.

I believe Dr. Jake Bell likes guys who have NBA aspirations; he supervises the SEC and the A-Sun, which fits in with the Atlanta/Orlando locations. Dr. Bell is close with JB Caldwell, who supervises a few lower division conferences in Florida. Atlanta is a holdover from the days of John Guthrie being a college supervisor. He was a really close friend of Ronnie Nunn, from what I understand. A high number of NBA officials went through Guthrie's conferences before becoming NBA officials.

Also, the Philly area seems to be heating up. I noticed a few newer officials from that area on the D-League roster. Joey Crawford has an instructional camp which uses only NBA refs for observers.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right now, North Carolina and Virginia seem to be hotbeds for the D-League. NC has Joe Forte supervisiong a D1(Big South) & D2 (Carolinas) conference. Virginia is home to George Tolliver and Donnie Vaden.

I believe Dr. Jake Bell likes guys who have NBA aspirations; he supervises the SEC and the A-Sun, which fits in with the Atlanta/Orlando locations. Dr. Bell is close with JB Caldwell, who supervises a few lower division conferences (DII Gulf Sun&Sunshine State) in Florida. Atlanta is a holdover from the days of John Guthrie being a college supervisor. He was a really close friend of Ronnie Nunn, from what I understand. A high number of NBA officials went through Guthrie's conferences before becoming NBA officials.

Also, the Philly area seems to be heating up. I noticed a few newer officials from that area on the D-League roster. Joey Crawford has an instructional camp which uses only NBA refs for observers.
Added Forte's and Caldwell's conferences.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As has been mentioned...Southern California.

Many, many, JUCO, D3, D2, NAIA, etc schools in the area.
However, there are also a lot of officials trying to move up through the ranks so the competiton for those spots on conference rosters is going to be tougher.

I have also heard that there are many areas in the midwest with several small colleges in close proximity that may fit what your associates are looking for.
Thanks Andy!
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
BigT.....

Go to the site PhillyRef.com

Use the Tabs on top of the homepage. Tons of current information on college coordinators and conferences..... both NCAAM & NCAAW. DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and JUCO. All conference member school info. cross referenced by state.

There's a national listing of over 250 officiating camps.....many geared specifically for officials looking to move into or up the collegiate ranks.
Thanks a ton!
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee View Post
BigT-

Hope this helps.
Chris
This idea has come up before. If you have great year round basketball in a densely populated area it is going to feed the HS/Colleges and provide a lot of good ball to improve your skills on. Thanks Chris.