The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Where are newer college officials needed?

I know a couple of very young officials who are extremely good college officials. Where they are at there there are few colleges and there are plenty of officials with just a few extra years of experience and they are getting very few games. My gut tells me that other parts of the county there maybe more schools then there are talented college officials. If you were young had 2-3 years of college experience but are not getting many games and you could uproot and move where would you tell these guys to go and how would you get in front of those conference arbiters to be given a shot?

Thanks in advance!

PS Here there are only about 6-7 colleges within a hour. In one part of the country there are 500% more colleges within a hour.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

What level college?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

New England

I just relocated to New England this year. Picked up 13 D-3 games along with a decent high school slate. All of my games are within 50 miles of my house.

Bear in mind I have been working for 15 years, only two years college...but I moved from a smaller, Midwestern city that also only had a couple of colleges within an hour's drive.

Also, do they work men's or women's? And just because they're 'good' in one area doesn't mean they are 'good' in another. I've worked in seven different states over those 15 years...trust me, officiating proficiency is all relative.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What level college?
Mostly Juco and one got a Div 1 game this year.

These young kids in their early to late 20's have only refereed a few years but are doing serious varsity and have been picked up quickly for Juco.

Anyone know much about California or KY area for need of newer college officials?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 08:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

North Carolina is a good place for young officials.

Anywhere from DC to Boston will put you in the middle of a lot of conferences.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks BadNews.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

CA has so many schools to cover that they are willing to take anyone who shows an interest and is a reasonable official. I know of two refs who are currently working JC games at the age of 21. I know of two other situations in which refs got picked up for JC before even getting promoted to varsity games in their HS chapters.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Nevada-which HS units do the officials belong to who are doing JUCO before HS varsity?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Here in my neck of the woods, there's about 6-7 Colleges/universities within 3 hours of one another, plus 5 JUCOs within the same radius.

Unsure how many high schools as there's that many.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 08:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Nevada-which HS units do the officials belong to who are doing JUCO before HS varsity?
That can happen anywhere. I had a buddy who was pick up in D3 after one year of HS ball.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
CA has so many schools to cover that they are willing to take anyone who shows an interest and is a reasonable official. I know of two refs who are currently working JC games at the age of 21. I know of two other situations in which refs got picked up for JC before even getting promoted to varsity games in their HS chapters.
Thanks Nevadaref
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Here in my neck of the woods, there's about 6-7 Colleges/universities within 3 hours of one another, plus 5 JUCOs within the same radius.

Unsure how many high schools as there's that many.
Do they need college officials?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Do they need college officials?
chseagle is a high school scorekeeper, he wouldn't know.

And what do you mean by "do they need college officials"? If they are part of a conference is very, very, very likely that the conference has a supervisor of officials who hires refs for the league.

Usually it's only those small, independent non-NCAA, non-NAIA schools that self-hire officials just for their own games.

Bottomline though, is if these guys are good (and I'm not doubting they are), they need to get out to some camps outside of Utah, and they will be noticed and start getting on conference supervisors' radars.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 02, 2014 at 09:41am.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
chseagle is a high school scorekeeper, he wouldn't know.

And what do you mean by "do they need college officials"? If they are part of a conference is very, very, very likely that the conference has a supervisor of officials who hires refs for the league.

Usually it's only those small, independent non-NCAA, non-NAIA schools that self-hire officials just for their own games.

Bottomline though, is if these guys are good (and I'm not doubting they are), they need to get out to some camps outside of Utah, and they will be noticed and start getting on conference supervisors' radars.
There's almost always likely a need to hire new officials as the veterans retire.

Just because I'm not truly wearing stripes, doesn't mean the information I provide is any less knowledgeable.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 02:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
There's almost always likely a need to hire new officials as the veterans retire.

Just because I'm not truly wearing stripes, doesn't mean the information I provide is any less knowledgeable.
In this case you would not have any knowledge of the situation. Veteran officials retire all the time, all over the country, including where BigT lives.

Are you saying you are privy to the college basketball officiating scene? Do you know any college conference supervisors?