Mavericks-Timberwolves Final Play

Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 07:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Announcer priorities.....

"It's criminal."
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't mind seeing another angle before I say definite foul.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing another angle before I say definite foul.
The super-slow mo at :45 shows it well enough for me and confirms the replay from behind. It was a foul. It was missed.

So the more important question is, why was it missed? I would like to think T and L were both watching this play since it was the last second shot. L may have had a better look as it looked like T stepped too far out on the court to maintain his open look and ended up staring at the backside of Marion.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

T missed it because he was looking at the feet to see if it was a 3- or a 2-point shot.

Been there; done that.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
T missed it because he was looking at the feet to see if it was a 3- or a 2-point shot.

Been there; done that.
Definitely. But Lead is 5 feet away and misses it. Maybe he's looking at feet too?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

As a general rule when a player swipes and the ball goes down the benefit of the doubt goes to him hitting the ball.

When he swipes down like that and the ball goes up it's usually a foul.

I think it's close b/c he looks like Marion could have hit the ball and knocked it loose from Love just as he's starting his shooting motion.

But I think they probably should have had a whistle there.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Honestly, looks to me like the ball is already slapped out when the arm contact is made. The timing is close, but the L is right there, looking straight at it. I'm not convinced either way.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
The super-slow mo at :45 shows it well enough for me and confirms the replay from behind. It was a foul. It was missed.

So the more important question is, why was it missed? I would like to think T and L were both watching this play since it was the last second shot. L may have had a better look as it looked like T stepped too far out on the court to maintain his open look and ended up staring at the backside of Marion.
I'm pretty sure the the lead (Ed Malloy) just ruled that the defender contacted the hand while it was in contact with the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:13pm
AremRed

NBA admits officials missed foul call at end of Minnesota Timberwolves-Dallas Mavericks game

This is really a perfect storm of bad angles. Trail can't see through the defender's back and Lead doesn't want to guess on action that he assumes Trail can see.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
NBA admits officials missed foul call at end of Minnesota Timberwolves-Dallas Mavericks game

This is really a perfect storm of bad angles. Trail can't see through the defender's back and Lead doesn't want to guess on action that he assumes Trail can see.
I'm still not convinced it's a foul, either, despite the PR from the league. Way to throw their officials under the bus.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Seems to me the L has a great view on the contact. In regular speed, it looks like a foul to me. In slow speed, I think otherwise.

I'm not surprised the NBA wants this called a foul, though.

I should add I appreciate Love's reaction in the clip. Just smile and move on, calls get missed. Contrast that with Tom Brady's meltdown after they lost to the Panthers on a play he admitted he didn't even see.

Also, I agree with Rich. I don't like when the league (in any sport) announces missed judgment calls.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Dec 31, 2013 at 01:26pm. Reason: added note
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Contrast that with Tom Brady's meltdown after they lost to the Panthers on a play he admitted he didn't even see.
Yeah cuz if Love does that he gets fined 100k+. Brady got nothing.

Last edited by AremRed; Tue Dec 31, 2013 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Only thing I can see for certain in the video is Marion hitting Love's hand...which is not a foul when it is in contact with the ball. He may have hit the arm, but that isn't clear from the video.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 31, 2013 at 02:51pm.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Only think I can see for certain in the video is Marion hitting Love's hand...which is not a foul when it is in contact with the ball. He may have hit the arm, but that isn't clear from the video.
I'm not even sure why that's the rule -- cause people want a foul called even if it's just the hand hit. I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA watched the slo-mo, saw the hand hit, and said "that was a foul."