The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid request missouri at nc state (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96886-vid-request-missouri-nc-state.html)

jeremy341a Sat Dec 28, 2013 09:53pm

Vid request missouri at nc state

Just under 4 minutes in 2nd half. Missouri on offense, block/charge and score the basket. Thought?

JetMetFan Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:16am

Video

Here's the play. There was only one angle shown where we could see anything worthwhile.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y33Y93vAU-A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32am

I would have had B1 for the arm grab prior to A1's travel.

(beat you to it JAR :D )

As for the block/charge aspects, B1 moves into A1. It was a feat for him to even get in front of A1 at all considering B1 was going the wrong direction when A1 started his drive.

B1 in this play may be the quickest basketball player I've ever officiated.

ballgame99 Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02am

(Full disclosure: Mizzou alum here) Not really seeing the travel. Right foot is the pivot, jumps off left and releases the shot before right comes back down. I don't see the defender in LGP before the shoothing motion begins (although he made it close). Looks weird and sloppy, but I see it as the right call. C was looking right at it and didn't hesitate (but shouldn't he be a bit lower than he is?).

Raymond Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 916280)
(Full disclosure: Mizzou alum here) Not really seeing the travel. Right foot is the pivot, jumps off left and releases the shot before right comes back down. I don't see the defender in LGP before the shoothing motion begins (although he made it close). Looks weird and sloppy, but I see it as the right call. C was looking right at it and didn't hesitate (but shouldn't he be a bit lower than he is?).

I have A1 gathering with his left foot on the ground at the free throw line extended.

ballgame99 Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 916281)
I have A1 gathering with his left foot on the ground at the free throw line extended.

Looking at it again, I can see that. Hard to tell with that angle. I was trying to pause it when the dribble ended, but the transition between steps happens so fast its tough.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 30, 2013 01:33pm

I have a block on this one. I don't think the defender had LGP.

AremRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 02:56pm

On the play I have a block.

Mechanics-wise, is the C fading away from the play when making the call a bad thing? Wouldn't it be better to close down on the play?

Raymond Mon Dec 30, 2013 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 916301)
On the play I have a block.

Mechanics-wise, is the C fading away from the play when making the call a bad thing? Wouldn't it be better to close down on the play?

He was stationary when he blew his whistle, then stepped away from the play when he started his signal.

jeremy341a Mon Dec 30, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 916293)
I have a block on this one. I don't think the defender had LGP.

I'm not disagreeing but would like to her your explanation. Thank you in advance.

Raymond Mon Dec 30, 2013 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 916308)
I'm not disagreeing but would like to her your explanation. Thank you in advance.

What I saw was B1 get 2 down after A1 started going a different direction. B1 tried to hedge high and A1 instead went down the lane line.

APG Mon Dec 30, 2013 05:41pm

Block...count the basket.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 916308)

Had LGP but lost it when A1 drove down the lane instead of directly toward the basket.

AremRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 916303)
He was stationary when he blew his whistle, then stepped away from the play when he started his signal.

The only reason I would step away while signalling is if I had a charge. If I had a block I would move towards the collision while signalling. What's the best way?

Sharpshooternes Tue Dec 31, 2013 02:21am

I think he thought charge to begin with but changed his mind.