The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid request missouri at nc state (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96886-vid-request-missouri-nc-state.html)

Blindolbat Tue Dec 31, 2013 03:17am

I'll be the one and only maybe here to say this, but I've got a charge there.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 31, 2013 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 916342)
The only reason I would step away while signalling is if I had a charge. If I had a block I would move towards the collision while signalling. What's the best way?

Stand still. Unless it's a long distance call and you need to close in.

Many though start for the table right away.

jeremy341a Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916339)
Had LGP but lost it when A1 drove down the lane instead of directly toward the basket.

Once again not disputing just trying to understand.
Why does he lose it? He had both feet own facing opponent. Opponent didn't get head and shoulders past so it seems to me it could have been a charge.

AremRed Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916369)
Unless it's a long distance call and you need to close in.

Is this a long-distance call?

Rich Tue Dec 31, 2013 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 916409)
Is this a long-distance call?

No.

Camron Rust Tue Dec 31, 2013 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 916388)
Once again not disputing just trying to understand.
Why does he lose it? He had both feet own facing opponent. Opponent didn't get head and shoulders past so it seems to me it could have been a charge.

At the time the shooter was about the FT line extended the defender was to the side of the shooter...not in the path. The defender needed to reestablish LGP by getting two feet down while in the path again. He didn't do that. No element of his previously obtained LGP apply since he had lost it. All elements need to be obtained again.

jeremy341a Tue Dec 31, 2013 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 916420)
At the time the shooter was about the FT line extended the defender was to the side of the shooter...not in the path. The defender needed to reestablish LGP by getting two feet down while in the path again. He didn't do that. No element of his previously obtained LGP apply since he had lost it. All elements need to be obtained again.

That makes sense. Doesn't the defender have two feet down in the path right before the contact occurs?

Camron Rust Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 916450)
That makes sense. Doesn't the defender have two feet down in the path right before the contact occurs?

Not in my opinion.

OKREF Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 916450)

ART. 2

To obtain an initial legal guarding position:

a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.

b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

Adam Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 916461)
ART. 2

To obtain an initial legal guarding position:

a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.

b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

Seems to me, these were met. I'm struggling with those who claim the defender must somehow be "in the path" as defined by the direction he's heading (a concept that is not so defined in the rules).

First, I'm not convinced the "in the path" wording of 4-23-1 applies to establishing LGP as spelled out in 4-23-2. 4-23-2 says nothing about the path.

Second, "the path" is not defined, and I have a hard time defining so narrowly as to exclude the space between the dribbler and his basket just because he happens to be heading in a slightly altered direction.

Based on this interpretation, I think it may be hard to justify a closely guarded count when the dribbler is moving away from the defender.

OKREF Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 916462)
Seems to me, these were met. I'm struggling with those who claim the defender must somehow be "in the path" as defined by the direction he's heading (a concept that is not so defined in the rules).

First, I'm not convinced the "in the path" wording of 4-23-1 applies to establishing LGP as spelled out in 4-23-2. 4-23-2 says nothing about the path.

Second, "the path" is not defined, and I have a hard time defining so narrowly as to exclude the space between the dribbler and his basket just because he happens to be heading in a slightly altered direction.

Based on this interpretation, I think it may be hard to justify a closely guarded count when the dribbler is moving away from the defender.

I think this case play deals with this play.

10.6.9 SITUATION:

Dribbler A1 has established a straight-line path toward a certain area of the court. Can A1 maintain this specific path?

RULING: Only to the extent that no opponent who is behind or to the side can crowd A1 out of this path. Opponents may attempt to obtain a legal guarding position in A1's path at any time. To obtain an initial legal guarding position, both feet of the guard must be on the court and the guard must be facing the dribbler prior to contact. Time and distance are not factors in obtaining an initial guarding position on an opponent with the ball. Once legal position is obtained, the guard can move to maintain position in the dribbler's path. The requirement of having two feet on the court does not apply in maintaining a legal guarding position, provided the guard maintains in-bound status. (4-23)

Doesn't the play in the video look like the description given here. It doesn't say anything about having to start out in the path.

Camron Rust Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 916465)
I think this case play deals with this play.

10.6.9 SITUATION:

Dribbler A1 has established a straight-line path toward a certain area of the court. Can A1 maintain this specific path?

RULING: Only to the extent that no opponent who is behind or to the side can crowd A1 out of this path. Opponents may attempt to obtain a legal guarding position in A1's path at any time. To obtain an initial legal guarding position, both feet of the guard must be on the court and the guard must be facing the dribbler prior to contact. Time and distance are not factors in obtaining an initial guarding position on an opponent with the ball. Once legal position is obtained, the guard can move to maintain position in the dribbler's path. The requirement of having two feet on the court does not apply in maintaining a legal guarding position, provided the guard maintains in-bound status. (4-23)

Doesn't the play in the video look like the description given here. It doesn't say anything about having to start out in the path.

Good cite. That refers, more than once, to in the path being part of obtaining AND maintaining LGP.

OKREF Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 916466)
Good cite. That refers, more than once, to in the path being part of obtaining AND maintaining LGP.

I read it slightly different. It says you can get in the path, once LGP has occured. However, LGP says nothing about being in the path.

The definition of "guarding" does talk about the path.

ART. 1

Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without *illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

Adam Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:42pm

To me, it says you "may" attempt to get into LGP in the path at anytime.
The "must" section says nothing about being in the path, and nowhere does it define "in the path" anyway.

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 31, 2013 06:44pm

Travel on the initial dribble.

Travel on the drive. If I'm going with a block, I don't count the basket, but award two shots. If a close call like this went a PC at an earlier time in the game, they had better have a PC again. If this was called a PC, I'm not sure I would bring it up if I was evaluating.