The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Fouled called, but number reported incorrectly

Described to me by several people who witnessed it, but couldn't definitively say if my interpretation was correct or not.

Situation: NFHS rules. Referee call foul against team and reports number. Table buzzes horn to inform the referee that there is no player on the team by that number. Referees confer as to who the player was, but none of them know who the foul was called on.

So, other than the obvious answer of, "The calling official needs to be a bit more observant", how is it decided as to who is charged the foul?

My answer to these fans was that I thought the foul is charged to the team and counts against their team foul count, but no individual is charged. It seems as if I've heard that in the past, but I couldn't find anything definitive in the rules book, case book, or official's manual. So if anyone knows the answer, a rules citing would be appreciated.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 11:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's how I'd do it. And as much as we can all say "he should have...", the fact is, crap happens. The best way out of this bad situation is simple; just charge it to the team and put a footnote in the book if necessary.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I have two thoughts here, Sometimes after I have reported the foul, It was on 21 and 12 is shooting 2.

I think " Did I say the foul was on 21 or 12"?

I get it right over 99% of the time, but with numbers like that it makes me think.

Same thing happened to a friend in a game, he calls the foul loses the fouler and gets the officials together. No one knows.

He comes to the lane and says, "who committed the foul"? No one replies, he says " I am giving it to 14" 14 says " It wasn't me, it was 21" He got his fouler....

For Bill Mac, Do you remember when home wore even numbers and the road teams wore odd numbers?
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 07:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Old Line State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
For Bill Mac, Do you remember when home wore even numbers and the road teams wore odd numbers?
That must be a Maryland "thing". As a player, coach, and official, I never heard of that system.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 07:11am.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

the "olden" days

Quote:
Do you remember when home wore even numbers and the road teams wore odd numbers?
Mr Billy Mac may not know of that practice, but back in the olden days in Illinois that was the way things were done in the high school basketball.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...He comes to the lane and says, "who committed the foul"? No one replies, he says " I am giving it to 14" 14 says " It wasn't me, it was 21" He got his fouler....
Sounds like someone got trained by Stan Rote....LOL
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 09:42am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Do you remember when home wore even numbers and the road teams wore odd numbers?
I seem to remember Iowa doing this for girls basketball back in the days when they still played six-on-six for girls.

Had a team a couple of weeks ago where the only numbers on the players jerseys were some combination of 1, 2, and 5: (1, 11, 12, 15, 2, 21, 22, 25, 5, 51, 52, and 55).

Oh, and three of the players on one team had jersey #25. A bit of athletic tape later, and we had #2, #5, and #25.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

This happened in a game earlier this year. My partner reported the foul, I'm about to administer the free throws and table buzzes.

Our third partner and the calling official get together. I can tell there is some confusion. Third partner walks into the lane and says "Okay, someone is getting this foul, who did it?" 3 people in the lane pointed at their teammate. And he was the big man. As a former guard, I would have taken the foul all day every day. Made me laugh
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That must be a Maryland "thing". As a player, coach, and official, I never heard of that system.
Waaaay back, in the 60's, in Washington state, as a junior, I wore 10 at home games and 11 on the road. At the end of the season, our coach told me that Scott, a senior, and our #12/13, and I, had both received votes for all-conference, but that the coach was sure they were meant for me, so I accompanied him to the Awards Banquet . . . no free-throws involved . . .

Last edited by Rob1968; Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 10:31am.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We did it when I played in Iowa. White jerseys were even numbers, dark jerseys were odd numbers.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same thing happened to a friend in a game, he calls the foul loses the fouler and gets the officials together. No one knows.

He comes to the lane and says, "who committed the foul"? No one replies, he says " I am giving it to 14" 14 says " It wasn't me, it was 21" He got his fouler....
I like that! There have been a few times I’ve asked the table (they are table officials, after all) if I think they’re competent enough. I’m more inclined to do that when the folks at the table are adults.

I’m not too hot on giving one to the team. I’m definitely going to remember the “I’m giving the foul to…” strategy.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I like that! There have been a few times I’ve asked the table (they are table officials, after all)
A good table will ask a leading question "Are you sure you didn't mean #15?"
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

That's the worst feeling for an official….report the foul on who you think called the foul, after going to your partners and the table….and get the ball live a soon as possible and move on.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Memories.....

Quote:
Oh wow, dust off the memory banks
I remember that...back in the mid 70's. I don't know if it was a rule or a "practice". When at home #20 (white jersey) on the road #21 (dark jersey).
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:34am
This IS My Social Life

When Shorts Really Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
Oh wow, dust off the memory banks
I remember that...back in the mid 70's. I don't know if it was a rule or a "practice". When at home #20 (white jersey) on the road #21 (dark jersey).
Ditto.
Only time I was not #11 in any sport in my not-really-all-that-stellar multi-sport high school career was when light-colored home jersey was #12.
Record here for most hyphens used in one sentence.