The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Oob ?

The following is a question that came up between some officials the other night.

Player A legally obtains posession of the ball near the end line. Player B ties him up creating an alternating possession throw in. In the process of getting into position to get to the ball, player B is standing with one foot on the out of bounds line. There is no foul and Player B legally and simultaneously posses the ball with Player A.

What is your call and why?

Rule Reference please.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 03:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't have a rules reference, but B1 caused the ball to be OOB.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 03:03pm
AremRed

Decide which happened first, the held ball or the player touching OOB and the ball simultaneously. Proceed accordingly.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

7-2-2. Caused to be out of bound by Player B.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ref View Post
The following is a question that came up between some officials the other night.

Player A legally obtains posession of the ball near the end line. Player B ties him up creating an alternating possession throw in. In the process of getting into position to get to the ball, player B is standing with one foot on the out of bounds line. There is no foul and Player B legally and simultaneously posses the ball with Player A.

What is your call and why?

Rule Reference please.
Don't have books so I cannot give a reference but there is no "tie up", as you state player B is OOB. Player B caused the ball to go OOB, ball to A at the spot.

Also from your post, don't see how any player can "legally and simultaneously" posses the ball with any other player if they are OOB.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
... don't see how any player can "legally and simultaneously" posses the ball with any other player if they are OOB.
Can a player OOB, on a throw-in, "posses the ball" with another player on the inbounds side "legally and simultaneously"?

7.6.4 Sit. A

While attempting a throw-in, A1 holds the ball through the plane of the end line. B1 (b)simply grabs the ball and then throws it through B's basket.

RULING: (b) score two points for Team B
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Mon Dec 16, 2013 at 04:21pm.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Can a player OOB, on a throw-in, "posses the ball" with another player on the inbounds side "legally and simultaneously"?

7.6.4 Sit. A

While attempting a throw-in, A1 holds the ball through the plane of the end line. B1 (b)simply grabs the ball and then throws it through B's basket.

RULING: (b) score two points for Team B
Okay...I can't think of MANY ways a player OOB can "legally and simultaneously" posses the ball with another player
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
7-2-2. Caused to be out of bound by Player B.
"...if the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boudary line, such player causes it to go out."

I see this play as a player standing OOB and the ball touches them for whatever reason.

Not the held ball situation in my OP.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 05:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"...if the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boudary line, such player causes it to go out."

I see this play as a player standing OOB and the ball touches them for whatever reason.

Not the held ball situation in my OP.
If the player causes the HB before stepping out of bounds (and I would consult the definition of a held ball), then it's a HB.
If he steps OOB in the process of trying to get a secure hold on the ball (ie, while touching but not having a secure hold on the ball), he has caused the ball to go OOB.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If the player causes the HB before stepping out of bounds (and I would consult the definition of a held ball), then it's a HB.
If he steps OOB in the process of trying to get a secure hold on the ball (ie, while touching but not having a secure hold on the ball), he has caused the ball to go OOB.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

But,

What if B1 is already OOB, standing on the end line, and he grabs at the ball A1 is holding, resulting in a held ball?

I think it could be a held ball for the same reason you could have a held ball during a throw-in. One player is OOB, the other is on the court.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But,

What if B1 is already OOB, standing on the end line, and he grabs at the ball A1 is holding, resulting in a held ball?

I think it could be a held ball for the same reason you could have a held ball during a throw-in. One player is OOB, the other is on the court.
Except on a throw-in, a player is legally allowed to possess the ball while OOB...in your situation, a player is not allowed to possess the ball while OOB.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 16, 2013, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But,

Read the rule again. In your play the ball is OOB BECAUSE of being contacted by B1.

In the "throw-in play" the ball is OOB because of another reason (i.e., the throw in).