The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon now, don't make your own rules...

I have noticed across many topics commented that there seems to be a pervasive amount of "self-interpretation" on various rules (i.e. uniforms, coach decorum, traveling, intentional fouls, mechanics, etc.).

I want to encourage you to find it in your game management plan to enforce some of these simple rules or call them guidelines if your assignor deems otherwise. Practice your mechanics as prescribed and have some pride! Too often I evaluate games and note that some officials just do whatever the hell they feel like either with intentional disregard for the rule set, laziness, or perhaps a simple lack of knowledge. Either way it seems to have become accepted behavior to some and it is becoming more apparent to coaches, AD's, and players that there are a lot of unprofessional officials.

I'm not advocating such a strict interpretation of the rules to the extent that it strangles your ability to manage a good game but...c'mon now, you need to be honest with yourself and be accountable for your knowledge, appearance, enforcement, and above all else...the perception that others have of your performance and abilities. You never know who is watching so don't just make up your own sh*t as you go thinking that you are a "great official"...be humbled.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 01:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
I have noticed across many topics commented that there seems to be a pervasive amount of "self-interpretation" on various rules (i.e. uniforms, coach decorum, traveling, intentional fouls, mechanics, etc.).

I want to encourage you to find it in your game management plan to enforce some of these simple rules or call them guidelines if your assignor deems otherwise. Practice your mechanics as prescribed and have some pride! Too often I evaluate games and note that some officials just do whatever the hell they feel like either with intentional disregard for the rule set, laziness, or perhaps a simple lack of knowledge. Either way it seems to have become accepted behavior to some and it is becoming more apparent to coaches, AD's, and players that there are a lot of unprofessional officials.

I'm not advocating such a strict interpretation of the rules to the extent that it strangles your ability to manage a good game but...c'mon now, you need to be honest with yourself and be accountable for your knowledge, appearance, enforcement, and above all else...the perception that others have of your performance and abilities. You never know who is watching so don't just make up your own sh*t as you go thinking that you are a "great official"...be humbled.

I know you are trying to start a serious conversation and I am sure that I will be back to discuss this topic in a serious mode, but at this moment in time I can only think of one thing to say:

"There are some coaches out there that think I make the rules up as I go along (Read this thread: Use of Cell Phone at Courtside.) and they would be surprised to know that I really do! "

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

These forums are visited mostly by those who care about their game. This forum has helped by game. My game is mostly a good game because I do care and that is why I am here learning. Those you are probably talking about do not even talk to their partner or self evaluate their game much less come here. So I believe you are preaching to the choir.

And above all else even a very bad referee is seldom going to cost a game. The players are responsible for turn overs missed shoots and lousy defense way more than our 20-30 calls a game on the over all outcome.

Been so easy to climb the ladder when most only want money and are ok with doing a below average job. You really cant convert half the referees to put in the effort to improve their came on an ongoing basis.

I would take your criticism and talk to your local association about topics you feel they need help in. There you might really make a difference and help the officials.

We would all love examples you are seeing so we can have endless debates on philosophies and by the book situations.

Happy Holidays to everyone! And may your Christmas tournaments be full of Joy and T's!
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I want to encourage you to find it in your game management plan to enforce some of these simple rules or call them guidelines if your assignor deems otherwise. Practice your mechanics as prescribed and have some pride! Too often I evaluate games and note that some officials just do whatever the hell they feel like either with intentional disregard for the rule set, laziness, or perhaps a simple lack of knowledge. ....
On the contrary, when in doubt, a lot of folks on this board (me especially) do things the way that game's boss wants them to.

And I purposely do not work for a local HS association b/c they do not have depth of professionalism and dedication that desire in my colleagues.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 02:29pm.