View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon now, don't make your own rules...

I have noticed across many topics commented that there seems to be a pervasive amount of "self-interpretation" on various rules (i.e. uniforms, coach decorum, traveling, intentional fouls, mechanics, etc.).

I want to encourage you to find it in your game management plan to enforce some of these simple rules or call them guidelines if your assignor deems otherwise. Practice your mechanics as prescribed and have some pride! Too often I evaluate games and note that some officials just do whatever the hell they feel like either with intentional disregard for the rule set, laziness, or perhaps a simple lack of knowledge. Either way it seems to have become accepted behavior to some and it is becoming more apparent to coaches, AD's, and players that there are a lot of unprofessional officials.

I'm not advocating such a strict interpretation of the rules to the extent that it strangles your ability to manage a good game but...c'mon now, you need to be honest with yourself and be accountable for your knowledge, appearance, enforcement, and above all else...the perception that others have of your performance and abilities. You never know who is watching so don't just make up your own sh*t as you go thinking that you are a "great official"...be humbled.