The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

So about those new rules ... are they working?

Are the new rules working? - ESPN

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The game had just ended and John Adams had one thing on his mind -- the roast beef sandwich on Hawaiian bread awaiting him at a Springfield Arby's on the drive home between Columbus and Indianapolis.

Unfortunately, the woman sitting in the stands behind him had other ideas. The Ohio State fan wearing the white down vest and red turtleneck spied Adams' name, and more his title (NCAA supervisor of officials) on his press row seat and wanted to ask a simple question:

"Do you think these new rules are working?''

Too bad she didn't have an easier one, such as how to get Republicans and Democrats to work together.

Are the new rules working and, maybe more critically, are they worth it? It depends whom you ask. But no matter whom you ask, they will undoubtedly have an opinion. Plenty want to share them with Adams.

Fortunately, after 15 years patrolling the court as a college official himself, he has developed dinosaur thick skin. He has read comments from critical coaches, including Tom Izzo, whom Adams respects a great deal. Without being impolite, Adams doesn't care.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

If players don't want to be in a game with 75+ FTs the answer is simple: move your feet on defense. As long as we keep it up, they'll figure it out. The video of games from the 80s and 90s I posted in another thread is proof that college players can actually defend someone without grabbing them and beating them up.

Quote:
"I think basketball was meant to be a game of finesse, maneuverability and beauty." (John Wooden, The New York Times, August 20, 1989)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I think they're adjusting faster than I expected. Thad Matta, OSU's coach, said he likes the new rules and emphasis and prefers this flow of the game, so it's not just negative from the coaching ranks.

The acid test will be once conference play starts in earnest in january, let's see if they continue to call it tight or revert back to previous norms.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I like the "emphasis" on the old rule of freedom of motion. Don't like the new rule on LGP on the gather.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I like the "emphasis" on the old rule of freedom of motion. Don't like the new rule on LGP on the gather.
Me too
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Me too
I really like the freedom of movement being put back into the game. Our teams have adjusted very well and the coaches have adjusted very well in my neck of the woods.

On the new b/c determination, I find this more difficult to officiate as your field of vision needs to be even wider on the plays as the lead official. If you think about it, it needs to expand by about 6 feet which is a lot when trying to position yourself to see through the bodies. We have been instructed to find the plant foot and determine if the defender has established LGP and not made any illegal movement from that point once the plant foot has been planted. I've worked about 10 men's games this year and it is getting easier, but I am spending even more time on synergy (our NAIA and NCAAD2 leagues use this service) to watch these plays to see if my positioning and judgment were correct. I'd absolutely love any tips that others are using to ensure you are getting these plays correct.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:00am
C'mon man!!

There is plenty about it I don't like. But some I do like. I like the fact the defense is supposed to have to move their feet and play real defense with out running their hands al over the ball handler, however the way it is called now, even if a defender stays in front and don't use their hands, if here're is a call it is always a block, or a block or a block. I think in the last 5 or so games I watched, I think I have only seen one charge and it wasn't on a shot and the defender was just standing there for like half a century without moving.

Now the D is playing better and I think the rules got them to do what the league wants but now they can't buy a charge call. I think the pendulum has swung drastically to the other side. Eventually we will get to a happy medium but something will have to change for that to happen.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
There is plenty about it I don't like. But some I do like. I like the fact the defense is supposed to have to move their feet and play real defense with out running their hands al over the ball handler, however the way it is called now, even if a defender stays in front and don't use their hands, if here're is a call it is always a block, or a block or a block. I think in the last 5 or so games I watched, I think I have only seen one charge and it wasn't on a shot and the defender was just standing there for like half a century without moving.
In every college pre-game I've had, I've made it a point to say that it is still possible for the defense to draw a charge on plays to the basket. In scrimmages I worked, too many officials were defaulting to blocks on anything around the basket.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I enjoy the new rules and the coaches and players I've worked seem to have bought into them by now and understand them. I'm not saying we don't have a bunch of fouls, but the coaches and players at least understand they are fouls now.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:25am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In every college pre-game I've had, I've made it a point to say that it is still possible for the defense to draw a charge on plays to the basket. In scrimmages I worked, too many officials were defaulting to blocks on anything around the basket.
Yeah, what you said. If there is any doubt I feel the officials are just defaulting to a block. The fact that you have to bring up that it IS possible for a player to take a charge I think is evidence that everyone is going to default to a block.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

I can only think of one or two times where a coach has even complained about a foul call at the HS level. I have yet to work a college game and this Saturday will be the first college game outside of scrimmages. Something tells me that it will not be much different than the other experiences I have had so far this year. And I think D1 college basketball has filtered down to everyone and their attitudes about what is or should be called as a foul.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think in the last 5 or so games I watched, I think I have only seen one charge and it wasn't on a shot and the defender was just standing there for like half a century without moving.
In one of our conference meetings they said they evaluated the b/c plays and if the officials were to just default to a block call on each play they would be correct about 80% of the time. As they judged it, the officials were only correct about 60% of the time on the plays being evaluated. I have talked with many veteran officials who have decided they are calling blocks on everything that isn't like the play you mentioned in the quote above..... I personally am trying to get each play correct, but when watching tape I find that most of the charges I have called in the paint have likely been blocks per the new quideline....
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 01:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I can only think of one or two times where a coach has even complained about a foul call at the HS level. I have yet to work a college game and this Saturday will be the first college game outside of scrimmages. Something tells me that it will not be much different than the other experiences I have had so far this year. And I think D1 college basketball has filtered down to everyone and their attitudes about what is or should be called as a foul.

Peace
Saturday I did my 6th college game. It was the first time I had a coaching staff act like they didn't see the 2013-14 NCAA-Men's clinic. They complained in the latter half of the 1st half after one of my partner's handchecking calls, when were already in the double bonus for both teams. They tried to tell me what contact was allowed on a dribbler. They ended up shooting 52 free throws themselves, and pulling away in the 2nd half for a 20 point win. The losing coach never said one word to the crew about any of our calls.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 01:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Saturday I did my 6th college game. It was the first time I had a coaching staff act like they didn't see the 2013-14 NCAA-Men's clinic. They complained in the latter half of the 1st half after one of my partner's handchecking calls, when were already in the double bonus for both teams. They tried to tell me what contact was allowed on a dribbler. They ended up shooting 52 free throws themselves, and pulling away in the 2nd half for a 20 point win. The losing coach never said one word to the crew about any of our calls.
I'm working my first (junior) college game of the season tomorrow night and I'm guessing that the officials working these games haven't changed a thing since last season.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now the D is playing better and I think the rules got them to do what the league wants but now they can't buy a charge call. I think the pendulum has swung drastically to the other side. Eventually we will get to a happy medium but something will have to change for that to happen.
Just received an e-mail about this from my NCAAW assignor. He said we’re doing a good job getting contact *on* the ball handler but coaches were upset because we weren’t getting contact *by* the ball handler. I think it’s a case of you put something in someone’s mind – i.e., the guidelines – and that’s where they’ll focus.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)