The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Working my way through

I am looking at MS volleyball starting up next month. In reading through the rule book--and I am not quite finished--it appears that as the 2nd referee, that substitutions and positioning are the most complex of the rules that I will be dealing with as a new official. Are there certain rules that I should really focus on learning more quickly than others? Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that I would say that the substitution rule is that complicated but then, I've been officiating for around 20 years. I would say positioning (being able to recognize if a team is in proper alignment) is the most 'complex' rule. I've found from working with new officials that it takes the longest to understand. As I've said before, if you miss an illegal alignment almost no one will even know it. Not that it isn't important, it's just that most fans (and many coaches and players) don't recognize it, either.

The most important rule you should focus on (as R2) is the net and center line rules. The R1 will be following the ball and your partner NEEDS you to be able to keep your focus on the area between the attack lines. As you gain experience you will be able to expand your field of view and be of more assistance to the R1 in other areas but until you have a few games under your belt, stay in your primary (to borrow a basketball term).
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
I'm not sure that I would say that the substitution rule is that complicated but then, I've been officiating for around 20 years. I would say positioning (being able to recognize if a team is in proper alignment) is the most 'complex' rule. I've found from working with new officials that it takes the longest to understand. As I've said before, if you miss an illegal alignment almost no one will even know it. Not that it isn't important, it's just that most fans (and many coaches and players) don't recognize it, either.

The most important rule you should focus on (as R2) is the net and center line rules. The R1 will be following the ball and your partner NEEDS you to be able to keep your focus on the area between the attack lines. As you gain experience you will be able to expand your field of view and be of more assistance to the R1 in other areas but until you have a few games under your belt, stay in your primary (to borrow a basketball term).
Thanks. When I played, the sub could only enter at the serve position. Points could only be score on the serve. Sorta like pre-AP arrow days in basketball.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 02:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Observing MS DH on Monday, then on the court 3/10. Learning on the fly, I guess. Thanks for the tips.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Have you had a chance to work any scrimmages?
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 06:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
Have you had a chance to work any scrimmages?
No. I will observe up close, two matches on Monday. Then put into practice
what have learned on Thursday. MS, so there shouldn't be as much over the net play.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 02:27am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
If you can, ask a veteran official to come watch you and give you feedback after the match is over. And have a really thorough pre-match and post-match with your partner about things that went well as well as those things that need improvement. Good Luck!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:40am
Aleve Titles to Others

First match done. I was an observer with the down official for the first match and about half of the second match. The scorers handled sub counts etc, so that was helpful. I brought in subs for the final game and a half of the second match. Missed a couple of net violations as I was trying to get used to positioning. I will be the R2 on Thursday with no training wheels.

On the plus side, my order of shirts got here in time.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Just like anything else, it will take some time to feel comfortable. How did Thursday's match go?
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 09:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

I did okay...I anticipated subs & time outs. I am glancing quickly over at the benches after points...esp after a change in service. I only had one net violation. My partner is someone with whom I worked in basketball, so that was a help. Someone new next Thursday.