The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:49pm
#thereferee99

Disqualified player scenario.

NFHS 3-person. With a minute to go in a close game, partner calls a foul. B1 will shoot two. I'm lead. Partner is informed that it is A1's 5th foul. He comes to me to inform Head Coach of Team A (oh well). I approach the table. A6 is at the table. "Coach, A1 has 5 fouls. Is this my substitute?" Coach says, "hold on." I inform the timer to start the 20-second interval. Coach is his little power trip thing. First horn. "Coach I need a substitute" He says, "OK" and pushes A6 out on to the floor.

I resisted the urge to allow the 20 second period to expire (which it would have if I hadn't forced the issue). We finish up the game. After the game I got feedback that if there is a substitute at the table, just bring them in. I had 'allowed' the coach a 20 second time out and should have handled it differently.

I thought I did it by the book. Thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
NFHS 3-person. With a minute to go in a close game, partner calls a foul. B1 will shoot two. I'm lead. Partner is informed that it is A1's 5th foul. He comes to me to inform Head Coach of Team A (oh well). I approach the table. A6 is at the table. "Coach, A1 has 5 fouls. Is this my substitute?" Coach says, "hold on." I inform the timer to start the 20-second interval. Coach is his little power trip thing. First horn. "Coach I need a substitute" He says, "OK" and pushes A6 out on to the floor.

I resisted the urge to allow the 20 second period to expire (which it would have if I hadn't forced the issue). We finish up the game. After the game I got feedback that if there is a substitute at the table, just bring them in. I had 'allowed' the coach a 20 second time out and should have handled it differently.

I thought I did it by the book. Thoughts?
I disagree with whoever informed you. That sub may very well be already there for someone else - or the DQ might force coach to change his strategy on a sub he was going to send in.

Nothing at all wrong with "allowing" a 20-second time out when their guy fouls out. After all... it's not YOU allowing that - it's the RULES allowing him that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have handled it just like you did. If that's all that someone could come up with after watching, you must have been doing a pretty good job.