Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Those would have been my teams first 2 points of the game
Did you drink heavily after games?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I have just got into the habit of moving the the division line....
Where do you move the division line to?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
...sound the whistle to alert players that play is about to begin...
...there it is...
Richland, WA
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

If the players are lined up in the "wrong" direction where does the lead official go? Does he go stand under the "wrong" basket?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
If the players are lined up in the "wrong" direction where does the lead official go? Does he go stand under the "wrong" basket?
I think you have answered your own question. That would make him the trail wouldn't it?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
No.

3 man mechanics, I'd line up on the end line in the direction where the team with the ball will be going. The center official on the opposite side of the table can cheat toward the division line if needed to assure proper coverage on any activity that occurs in the backcourt.

2 man mechanics, if I'm lead and the offensive team is sending all their players to the backcourt for a trick play like this, I'm likely lining up opposite side from my partner and at a minimum, cheating up near the division line if I don't have any.competitive matchups to referee in the frontcourt. Actual location will depend on where the players are located.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
No.

3 man mechanics, I'd line up on the end line in the direction where the team with the ball will be going. The center official on the opposite side of the table can cheat toward the division line if needed to assure proper coverage on any activity that occurs in the backcourt.

2 man mechanics, if I'm lead and the offensive team is sending all their players to the backcourt for a trick play like this, I'm likely lining up opposite side from my partner and at a minimum, cheating up near the division line if I don't have any.competitive matchups to referee in the frontcourt. Actual location will depend on where the players are located.
2 man: I'm not sure there's really a need. The point of this play is not to make the throw in to the BC; it's to get a wide open play in the FC. If the defense bites, then you'll have a wide open layup with a fast-trailing defender in the lead's primary. Best to stay put, IMO. If the defense doesn't bite, the offense will be wide open in the BC anyway.

3 man: Maybe keep the center a bit high, but no need to dive into the BC (I know that's not what you said).

The only thing that might happen would be extra-curricular, but the T can easily handle that from the division line.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I think you have answered your own question. That would make him the trail wouldn't it?
What good is the Lead doing at the other end of the court looking at an empty lane?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What good is the Lead doing at the other end of the court looking at an empty lane?
Where's the action going to be?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I should have put a sarcastic grin after my comment. But I liked anyway what Whistles and Stripes mentioned about the other official cheating up towards the division line.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Where's the action going to be?
If they line up in the paint in the BC, and B2 realizes what's happening and decides to grab A2's jersey, then action is in the BC; and nobody will see it.

When teams are pressing we don't wait for them down at the frontcourt endline, why would we officiate an 42' of empty court just because the throw-in is from the division line?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 11:11am.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If they line up in the paint in the BC, and B2 realizes what's happening and decides to grab A2's jersey, then action is in the BC; and nobody will see it.

When teams are pressing we don't wait for them down at the frontcourt endline, why would we officiate an 42' of empty court just because the throw-in is from the division line?
Yeah, I might cheat up a bit just to catch the extra-curriculars, but I'm not going any higher than the top of the 3 pt arc. Most likely action is going to be a play in the paint at the right basket, with a defender chasing from behind, and I want to be in position for that.

If the defense doesn't bite, it won't matter.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why. The trail official should be bouncing the ball to the inbounding player. That bounce can be several feet. Then he/she simply slides down further to watch for any inappropriate behaviour. Besides, if the defense bites he will be on that baseline soon anyway. If they are looking at the officials, they will notice the one that SHOULD BE on the baseline is on the other end of the court...that will probably give it away.

Also, as far as the throw-in mechanic...I do that as soon as the teams break the huddle. But I will not point again, just give them the color. In high school most of these kids have been playing basketball for 6-10 years. If they don't know the direction of play or weren't paying attention coming out of the huddle that is a coaching issue...not an officiating issue.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Also, as far as the throw-in mechanic...I do that as soon as the teams break the huddle. But I will not point again, just give them the color. In high school most of these kids have been playing basketball for 6-10 years. If they don't know the direction of play or weren't paying attention coming out of the huddle that is a coaching issue...not an officiating issue.
Interesting. Every time I administer a throw in following any delay (timeout, injury, intermission, etc), I point and say the color right before. I don't change anything just because someone might be trying a bush-league trick play.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Interesting. Every time I administer a throw in following any delay (timeout, injury, intermission, etc), I point and say the color right before. I don't change anything just because someone might be trying a bush-league trick play.
Exactly.