The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Telling Teams Direction They Are Going?

As referees, are we obligated to tell the teams which way are going at the start of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters?

I had an instance where a player came up to me and said, "Hey, I know which way we are going, but we are going to run a trick play."
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
As referees, are we obligated to tell the teams which way are going at the start of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters?

I had an instance where a player came up to me and said, "Hey, I know which way we are going, but we are going to run a trick play."
I always say the color and point before the quarter starts. I don't make a show of it, though.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Me: "That's great. Blue!" (while pointing the proper way so everyone can see it).
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

tell? Yes (but as with all mechanics, when in rome...)

Make sure the defense is at the right end? No.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen several times. I have just got into the habit of moving the the division line and hold the ball on the side that we should be going. If asked which way we are going by ANY player, I just answer with the color...Something like "It's blue's ball."
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I have had this happen several times. I have just got into the habit of moving the the division line and hold the ball on the side that we should be going. If asked which way we are going by ANY player, I just answer with the color...Something like "It's blue's ball."
We are not obligated to help a team with a trick play.

I point and give a color to both teams at the start of every quarter or half. Why would I avoid doing so just so a team can run something that will likely bring me trouble?

Thankfully, I've had one team tell me they're doing this in the last 20 years and the defense didn't buy it for a second.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:18pm
#thereferee99

Er, the mechanics manual might help.

Starting a Period:
1. The throw-in to start the second, thrid, and fourth quarters and any extra period shall be administered by the Referee at the division line opposite the table.
2. Indicate color and direction, designate the throw-in spot, sound the whistle to alert players that play is about to begin, place the ball at the thrower's disposal.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I too have had several teams try this, mostly AAU stuff. The team that tries it always ended up losing the game, usually pretty bad. It just tells me they trying to pull every trick in the book and the coach always has a behavior problem.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Why? I mean, why not point as the mechanics manual tells us to do?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We are not obligated to help a team with a trick play.

I point and give a color to both teams at the start of every quarter or half. Why would I avoid doing so just so a team can run something that will likely bring me trouble?

Thankfully, I've had one team tell me they're doing this in the last 20 years and the defense didn't buy it for a second.
Except when I coached and my first game coming out of halftime I told my inbounder to let the official know we know which way we were going. We had everything down to a tee. Except the inbounding official that told the defense at least 5 times which way they were going and that we were lined up on the wrong side of the court. I was more surprised that I didn't get a T after that.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I too have had several teams try this, mostly AAU stuff. The team that tries it always ended up losing the game, usually pretty bad. It just tells me they trying to pull every trick in the book and the coach always has a behavior problem.
Why is this a behavior problem? It's just strategy and preparing your players to understand game situations.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why? I mean, why not point as the mechanics manual tells us to do?
I would wager he just didn't know what the mechanics manual said. I don't think he would intentionally do something different.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why is this a behavior problem? It's just strategy and preparing your players to understand game situations.
He's not calling *this* a behavior problem. It is, however, highly correlated with coaches who do have behavior problems.

Note, those behavior problems are shared between the coaches and their players, most of the time.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 05:35pm. Reason: added thought
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Except when I coached and my first game coming out of halftime I told my inbounder to let the official know we know which way we were going. We had everything down to a tee. Except the inbounding official that told the defense at least 5 times which way they were going and that we were lined up on the wrong side of the court. I was more surprised that I didn't get a T after that.
Good for that official.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Good for that official.
Those would have been my teams first 2 points of the game