The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Announcers ???

A online colleague recently sent this (below) to me. Anybody else see this? Can anybody cite its source?

The National Federation has issued new guidelines regarding game announcers.

While the game is in progress, announcers may give basic information such as who scores, who fouls and how many fouls that is on a player, who is shooting free throws and how many free throws, which team is awarded a time out and whether the time out is a full time out or a 30 second time out, which substitute is entering the game and which player is being replaced.

Announcers SHOULD NOT announce things such as "How much time there is left in a period" or "How many time outs a team has left." Also, announcements pertaining to raffles, 50-50 drawings, concession stands, future schedules, etc - in other words, all those things that are not directly related to the game should only be announced prior to the game, during time outs, intermissions between periods, and after the game.

What they want eliminated are the "carnival barkers" that tend to distract from the actual game and those announcements that would tend to give information that is the responsibility of the teams and coaches (ie: how much time is left or how many time outs a team has remaining.). There is no penalty involved. Announcers should be handled the same as scorekeepers and timers who are not in compliance with the spirit of the game.

This information should be covered with the announcer at the table prior to the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 08:37am
This IS My Social Life

I Don't Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A online colleague recently sent this (below) to me. Anybody else see this? Can anybody cite its source?

The National Federation has issued new guidelines regarding game announcers.

While the game is in progress, announcers may give basic information such as who scores, who fouls and how many fouls that is on a player, who is shooting free throws and how many free throws, which team is awarded a time out and whether the time out is a full time out or a 30 second time out, which substitute is entering the game and which player is being replaced.

Announcers SHOULD NOT announce things such as "How much time there is left in a period" or "How many time outs a team has left." Also, announcements pertaining to raffles, 50-50 drawings, concession stands, future schedules, etc - in other words, all those things that are not directly related to the game should only be announced prior to the game, during time outs, intermissions between periods, and after the game.

What they want eliminated are the "carnival barkers" that tend to distract from the actual game and those announcements that would tend to give information that is the responsibility of the teams and coaches (ie: how much time is left or how many time outs a team has remaining.). There is no penalty involved. Announcers should be handled the same as scorekeepers and timers who are not in compliance with the spirit of the game.

This information should be covered with the announcer at the table prior to the game.
BM,
This came from one of our assigners. He might have made the wording up himself, I don't know. Maybe other assigners on the forum can identify its source.
Around here, this is akin to a solution scanning the horizon for a problem. Maybe somewhere in the officiating nation this really had to be handed down, I don't know. All we usually need to tell the announcers is not to announce the foul until after we've reported it to the table.
Having reviewed the post before sending it, I realize I don't know a lot.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

2013-2014 Rules Interps

SITUATION 3: The announcer announces (a) who scores (b) who fouls, (c) time left in the quarter. RULING: Legal in (a) and (b); illegal in (c). In (a) and (b), the announcer is allowed to give basic information during the course of the game, such as who the foul is on, who is shooting free throws, which team is taking a time-out and the length of the time-out. In (c), announcing the amount of time left in the quarter is not information that should be given since there is a visible clock for all to see. There is no penalty. The announcer should be handled in the same manner as a scorekeeper or timer who are not in compliance with the spirit of the game. Appropriate training by school personnel and proper pregame instructions by the referee are necessary. (1-18)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
All we usually need to tell the announcers is not to announce the foul until after we've reported it to the table.
I always tell them not to announce technicals on the coaches until after I've smacked the coach over the head with a chair.