The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:36am
C'mon man!!

DOG mechanic

B 1 reaches through the boundary plane during a throw in. Tweet!! Then how do you go about notifying score keeper/coach? Do you switch in two man? What verbiage do you use? Thanks.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no "mechanic" that I am aware of. You tell the table you have a delay and tell them the kind of delay with the number of the player. Go to the nearest spot or back to where you were. No reason to switch or change position IMO.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:54am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is no "mechanic" that I am aware of. You tell the table you have a delay and tell them the kind of delay with the number of the player. Go to the nearest spot or back to where you were. No reason to switch or change position IMO.

Peace
Do you do It from the reporting area or go right up to the table. Then do you go to the coach as we'll or just assume he heard you when you reported to the table?
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Do you do It from the reporting area or go right up to the table. Then do you go to the coach as we'll or just assume he heard you when you reported to the table?
I do it from the reporting area, to be honest. Lower level (summer, MS, etc), I'll go up to the table unless I'm confident the table knows what I'm doing.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'll go up to the table unless I'm confident the table knows what I'm doing.
In my experience, which includes tonight, more often than not they don't.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Not necessarily. It is not a foul, so I go to the table and announce to the coach what was called. I say it loud enough just like I was calling a foul, but not necessarily concerned about where I would report this information. Never really thought of this that deep if you ask me.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I usually just yell it from (about) where I am. Especially in HS since the next violation of any kind is a T. "Delay warning on white for reaching through the plane". No need to indicate the player number. Maybe I follow (or preceed) with "Record that in the book, please", but honestly if we can't remember that a warning was issued ...
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape (Warner Wolf) ...

4-47: A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach.

Quote:
There is no "mechanic" that I am aware of.
2009-11 NFHS Manual: If a throw-in plane violation occurs, a team warning is reported to the scorer and to the coach.

In reality, I just go to the reporting area and make sure that I say it loud enough for both the scorer, and the coach, to hear. I'm not going to say this twice (Oh my God, I've turned into my mother).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 09:49am.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Number ...

Quote:
... the number of the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No need to indicate the player number.
Agree. Always listen to bob. If you state the player's number, a less than stellar scorekeeper, you know, the ones that we have to tell to put their cell phones away, might list it as a player foul.

Plus, it's a team warning, and may end up being a team technical foul, so why involve the player?

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we have been taught to only report player numbers for fouls, and for time out requests, nothing else. If a coach wants more information (warning, three second violation, free throw violation, etc.), we will move out of the reporting area, a step, or two, toward the coach, and tell him as quietly as is possible to be heard in that gymnasium. Again, this is for dealing with those less than stellar scorekeepers, you know, the ones that we have to tell to take their earphones out during a game, the ones that might list a warning, or a violation, as a player foul. We keep the mechanics of reporting as simple as we can by rule, or by mechanic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 10:33am.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 03:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'll go up to the table unless I'm confident the table knows what I'm doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In my experience, which includes tonight, more often than not they don't.
I find this to be the case often too. The scorekeeper gives you the deer in the headlights look like, "So."
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 04:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we have been taught to only report player numbers for fouls, and for time out requests, nothing else.
Quite a few years ago in a MS rec tournament, A1 was dribbling the ball down court with no one around him and he traveled. I was trail and called the travel. Coach A then asked me who traveled. I told him it was the kid with the ball. He said, "Oh". I guess I should have reported his number to the table.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Quite a few years ago in a MS rec tournament, A1 was dribbling the ball down court with no one around him and he traveled.
Impossible.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Speechless ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A1 was dribbling the ball down court with no one around him and he traveled. I was trail and called the travel. Coach A then asked me who traveled. I told him it was the kid with the ball.
Knowing you, I'm surprised that you didn't tell the coach that the travel call was on the kid setting a screen. That would have left him dumbfounded.