The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Use of Electronic Devices

In a training session this week, it was taught that it is not permissible for the Head Coach or any other bench personnel to record the game. My understanding is that the Head Coach may not a) communicate with players using an electronic device, and b) may not show a recording of the game to an official - (which infers that it is okay for team personnel to record the game.)

And the persenter said that if a coach tries to show a play from the game to an official, it is an immediate T. ( I responded that in our Pre-season Rules Meeting, conducted by a member of the NF Rules Committee, we were directed to not issue a T, but to just say, " We're not doing that." and walk away.

I was met by strong opposition regarding both issues.

Input, please. What is your part of Rome saying about this?
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
In a training session this week, it was taught that it is not permissible for the Head Coach or any other bench personnel to record the game. My understanding is that the Head Coach may not a) communicate with players using an electronic device, and b) may not show a recording of the game to an official - (which infers that it is okay for team personnel to record the game.)

And the persenter said that if a coach tries to show a play from the game to an official, it is an immediate T. ( I responded that in our Pre-season Rules Meeting, conducted by a member of the NF Rules Committee, we were directed to not issue a T, but to just say, " We're not doing that." and walk away.

I was met by strong opposition regarding both issues.

Input, please. What is your part of Rome saying about this?
Here it is from the NFHS handout:

"...the coach must be in compliance with the guidelines that specify that electronic devices may not be used to communicate with the players on the playing floor nor can the device be used to dispute an official's call."

By default, for a coach to show you a play so (s)he can complain about it the team would have to be recording the game so that might be where your association is going in that regards. However, electronic devices can be used for coaching purposes so if the team is recording the game then coaches show certain plays to bench personnel exactly how are we supposed to stop them?

All I’ve been told in my neck of the woods is exactly what’s in the rule book: they can’t use electronic devices to communicate with players and they can’t use video as a method of complaining. I can see why your association would want a coach rung up immediately if (s)he tried to show you a video clip. Why else would they be doing it other than to complain?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 01:49pm
This IS My Social Life

Only Partially Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
However, electronic devices can be used for coaching purposes so if the team is recording the game then coaches show certain plays to bench personnel exactly how are we supposed to stop them?... they can’t use electronic devices to communicate with players
1) You don't need to stop them.
2) Is totally allowable by rule for a coach to show a player on the bench a video scene of the game for coaching purposes. The prohibition is for trying to show that to a player who is on the floor, or, of course, to an official to dispute a call.
COMMENT for new 10.1.3B: "Electronic devices may be used on the player bench for coaching and statistical purposes only. Video may not be used to review an official's decision."
This same point is stated and illustrated in the NFHS PowerPoint also, though not as clear as it could be, perhaps.
Heck, they can have Cecil B. DeMille as a coach and do all the movie review on the bench they want to. And that really won't matter to us at all.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 01:55pm.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 03:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ten Rules And Ten Commandments, That Can't Be A Coincidence ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
They can have Cecil B. DeMille as a coach and do all the movie review on the bench they want to.
... and it would be a helluva good video, might even get an Academy Award nomination.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
By rule, "they" are right.

By good game management, you are right.