The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Presence?

How does one go about proving and improving "Presence?"
Been told that is what is holding me back from advancing to higher level games, but don't know how to improve that without getting more challenging games. Told all other aspects of officiating is spot on. Tips or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 02:52pm
This IS My Social Life

A Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Been told that is what is holding me back from advancing to higher level games, but don't know how to improve that without getting more challenging games. Told all other aspects of officiating is spot on. Tips or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
PM me. I ran across something you might be interested in checking out.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

One thing that can really help, especially for younger, quiet refs, is to look like you are having fun on the court. Don't be a clown, of course, but don't be afraid to converse with the scorer, and to some extent, the players, and even in the right circumstances, with the coaches on a limited, casual basis. If something funny happens, laugh a little. It is supposed to be a game, after all.

There will be plenty of times when being serious -- very serious -- is crucial. But giving yourself a bit of a personality on the court can help give you a bit more presence.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

We talk about that all the time when evaluating officials. It's hard to put a finger on it but I know when I see or don't see it.

I think it starts with how the official walks on the court. Do they look confident but not arrogant. Do they look professional? How are they interacting with folks, including the coaches, players and game management.

During the game I am looking for game management skills. Making sure little things don't balloon into issues is important. Making sure the coaches behave themselves without the official being a d**k. Good mechanics help. Again, confidence that everyone sees that you know what you are doing.

I think you need to look like you want to be there and having fun. If I'm not having fun officiating than I need to find something else to do.

Just some thoughts. Certainly not everything but some things that come to mind.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think your presence is one of the most important things in officiating that is often hard to define and hard to measure. You have to be able to give the people you work with or the coaches and players know you are in control without saying you are in control. And a lot of this is based on what you look like and how you carry yourself. Someone 6'6" is likely going to have a different presence that someone 5'2" will have because of how they look. But the person that is 5'2" if they do it right can control the room. And really a lot of this is confidence in how you carry yourself, what you are doing, how you use mechanics (signals) and your knowledge of the rules and the game. If you look scared or do not signal with confidence, this can show quickly. And if everything is equal and an official has presence and the other official does not have presence, I am talking the guy with the presence all day.

The suggestion is to watch other officials that are accomplished and see how they carry themselves before, during and after games. Then watch yourself on tape working a game and see how you compare.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:58pm
I miss being on the floor

I'm a shorter guy, and not exactly Mr. Universe, and I've wondered about this too. As others have said, I try to display confidence. Sharp mechanics go a long way. I think if there's a situation where you can step in and assert yourself early on, that will help.

It comes with experience, I think too. As rules and mechanics become more second nature, you can work on some of the peripheral stuff.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 06:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm a big guy (6' 5"/240lbs) so sometimes I'm told I have to dial it back a little so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be intimidating.

But to me presence is carrying yourself with confidence, but not arrogance. Having an athletic look. Moving with a purpose, standing tall with good posture. Being in control when players start acting up. Having a voice that commands attention when needed.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 06:50pm.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 06:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'm a shorter guy, and not exactly Mr. Universe, and I've wondered about this too. As others have said, I try to display confidence. Sharp mechanics go a long way. I think if there's a situation where you can step in and assert yourself early on, that will help.

It comes with experience, I think too. As rules and mechanics become more second nature, you can work on some of the peripheral stuff.
I've worked with a few short officials (5' 8" or below) who really know how to command a game.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2013, 06:32pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've worked with a few short officials (5' 8" or below) who really know how to command a game.
I'm even shorter than that!!

Another thing I thought of. The first time you report a foul, make sure your voice is clear, and at a good volume. No need to yell obviously, but don't be shy either.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

I've struggled with this too. I was taught to go to the table with your chin up. When we make a mistake or feel scared we tend to lower our head. Always go to the table with your head/chin up will help your presence.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:39am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I've asked myself this question quite a bit over the years. I agree that it's hard to define and measure. The closest thing I can find to describe it is what many in military and law enforcement circles consider "command presence." Still hard to define, but there are some things you may consider for improving it. These are from a 2011 article by Lt. Chris Cole of the Storm Lake, Iowa, Police Dept.:

"Look Sharp. Most people will form an impression of you within the first 30 seconds, and these initial judgments are based on visual cues. Take advantage of this. How you carry yourself and wear your uniform will weigh in on the assessment. Looking sharp includes being well-groomed and wearing a clean-pressed uniform. In short: If you look sharp, people will assume you are sharp. If you look sloppy, people will assume you perform sloppy work.

Act Sharp. Carry yourself with professionalism and authority. Know your job. Being confident in your abilities generally reflects in your body language. Walk tall, speak clearly and stand up straight just like your mother told you. Doing so will reflect your command presence and help project authority.

Remember that first impressions last, and that the impression will be based upon the person's perception of you. Whether the perception is true or not is a moot point because perception is reality."

I know it doesn't all translate directly into "presence" for officiating, but hopefully it might give you some idea what people may be talking about when they mention "presence."
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm a big guy (6' 5"/240lbs) so sometimes I'm told I have to dial it back a little so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be intimidating.

But to me presence is carrying yourself with confidence, but not arrogance. Having an athletic look. Moving with a purpose, standing tall with good posture. Being in control when players start acting up. Having a voice that commands attention when needed.
BNR, you know that you're just a big teddy bear out there.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

BE prepared:

"The will to prepare to win, is much more important than the will to win." Bob Knight
This applies to any performance, whether one speaks of the opponents in a contest, or the officials.
Look the part, act the part, be the part.
As officials, we are observors, and communicators. When you communicate, really communicate - avoid going through the motions, either too casually, or too mechanically.
Everyone who observes one's work as an official, will judge that performance mostly by his/her communication - with partners, players, coaches, table crew, and the crowd.
One must develop the basic skills of our craft, and then become an official - not just act as an official. Admit that your preparation is done when the contest starts.
Be "in the moment." Relax, and be what/who you are, now. You were what you were, in your previous performance; you will be something different in your next performance. This performance is your reward for your past preparation, and the foundation for your future.
Be the partner that makes your partners' performance easy and enjoyable. From my pre-game: " It is my intention that you have the best game of your season, so far, tonight. The best way for me to do that, is to, in a properly assertive manner, take care of my resposibilities so you can relax and take care of yours. And remember, "You can say almost anything you think you need to say, to a player or to a coach, if you do it with a smile!"
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

There's a lot of great advice here! I've found that relaxing a bit definitely helps with my court presence. When I find myself thinking about it all the time, then I tend to become more stiff. Also, the tape doesn't lie. Reviewing how you look during your games will help you to key in on areas that may be of concern. You may find that what you think you look like is very different from how you actually look when you're on the court.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornets222003 View Post
There's a lot of great advice here! I've found that relaxing a bit definitely helps with my court presence. When I find myself thinking about it all the time, then I tend to become more stiff. Also, the tape doesn't lie. Reviewing how you look during your games will help you to key in on areas that may be of concern. You may find that what you think you look like is very different from how you actually look when you're on the court.
I heard these same points just yesterday. You want to look athletic, but not stiff. Have good mechanics but not look mechanical. And watch as much video of yourself as possible.