The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 12:07am
MPLAHE

Need some help on some court coverage/primary situations:

1) Ball is in the backcourt and new trail is administering the throw-in with pressure. trail/new lead is at the center stripe moving with the flow towards the other basket. If the ball comes quickly to the new leads side in the backcourt, and a foul is committed, who has primary? Does the new lead also have the sideline on his/her side all the way to the baseline?

2) Also, in the frontcourt with the ball above free-throw line extended, the trail has primary even on the leads side of the court, however the lead has the sideline all the way to center court. If you are responsible for that sideline as the lead, how can you not keep on eye on the ball action in order to determine who the ball went out on?

comments?
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Need some help on some court coverage/primary situations:

1) Ball is in the backcourt and new trail is administering the throw-in with pressure. trail/new lead is at the center stripe moving with the flow towards the other basket. If the ball comes quickly to the new leads side in the backcourt, and a foul is committed, who has primary? Does the new lead also have the sideline on his/her side all the way to the baseline?
I am going to assume that you are talking only 2 Person mechanics here. The New Trail should be watching the ball since they do have the 10 second count. It would be the primary coverage area of the New Trail. That does not mean that if there is something that happens right in front of the New Lead, that does not mean they cannot make a call. The New Trail is not going to be looking at much else in a 2 Person system.

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
2) Also, in the frontcourt with the ball above free-throw line extended, the trail has primary even on the leads side of the court, however the lead has the sideline all the way to center court. If you are responsible for that sideline as the lead, how can you not keep on eye on the ball action in order to determine who the ball went out on?

comments?
You can always be aware of where the ball is and not be focused solely on the ball. If you see the ball go out of bounds from the Lead position, it is your call but it is not unusual to ask for help. Also this is one of the flaws in the 2 Person system and why so many areas have gone to 3 Person for varsity games. That is one of the glaring problems with this the 2 Person system.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

In our association when the ball is in trail's primary area and goes OOB (above FT on Leads line) Trail has first call on the line. IT make sense. If lead is watching off ball Lead may not be even watching out there. You may be aware of it but it isnt much of a call.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I say 2 man stinks, think anybody listens? No, we still do onyl 2 man on all levels, I want 3 man from corresponding your Varsity level, think I'll get it, no that's life I suppose