The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3-man court coverage (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96487-3-man-court-coverage.html)

surehands Wed Nov 06, 2013 09:37am

3-man court coverage

Were is there a printable copy of 3- man coverage for high school?

BktBallRef Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by surehands (Post 909993)

In the NFHS Official's Manual.

AremRed Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by surehands (Post 909993)

Here is a resource I like to use.

FCRef Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24pm

I copied this from some post some where.

I think it's about as good as it gets.

As some have stated in previous posts, the switches depend on your state or association. IAABO states are the same as Men's NCAA and go opposite the table. NFHS states are the same as Women's NCAA and go table side. There may be some exceptions. Learn the "home" starting positions for each. T should be at the 28' mark, C is at the oul Line Extended, and the L is either wide or at close down/pinch the paint depending on where the ball is. If you get to see yourself on video, always make sure the 3 of you are in these home positions. You may have to adjust 1 or 2 steps depending on where the action is and to maintain an open look. L should always mirror the ball, but should not be watching the ball. Learn to see the ball out of the top of your eyes as the L and still officiate your PCA. T must stay connected in the front court. The T and L should work as a team with post play. T referees the feet and L referees the defense. C must be ready for curl plays. Think "go away, stay away." If you are the L and the play goes away from you, let the C have that play. As L, look for a reason to rotate. I use the 3 immediates as when NOT to rotate in the L:

1. Immediate drive
2. Immediate shot
3. Immediate pass

If any of these happen, do not rotate, as you can put the crew in a bad position, and won't be able to officiate the play properly.

If the ball crosses the basket line, move to pinch the paint. If the ball settles, than rotate, but make sure to referee where you came from. As L, you are still responsible for anything in that area. As C, do not be in a hurry to rotate to the T. If L rotates over, and as C you have an open look, stay with that look until the play dissolves. 2 C's are ok, but you never want to T's.

In transition, the C should be even with or slightly ahead of the pack of players and is responsible for side line to side line and tip of circle to tip of circle. If there is pressure in the back court, position yourself at the 28' and assist with coverage. Don't bail out too early. Remain and read. The T should be 2-3 steps behind the player/players and should maintain an open look. If the ball handler is not being pressured, look ahead and be able to see as many of the other players as possible. L should get to the end line to receive the play. If there is pressure in the back court, L should be no deeper than foul line extended in the front court. As the play comes into the front court, move to the end line to receive the play. Again, mirror the ball. If the ball is coming up the middle of the court, go right to close down position. I know there is a lot here to absorb, but I hope this helps. Get a hold of a mechanics manual and watch as many 3 person games as you can. The more you work it, the more comfortable you will become with it.

Rooster Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910049)

Hilarious. I love it!

Amesman Thu Nov 07, 2013 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910049)

Brutal