The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a link to a printable 3-man areas of coverage. Looking for something usable as a hand out.

Thanks

Larks
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
How about this one. Notice the blue on the 2-person side......I like to thinks that's an area for serious pergame discussion.......and having the Trail make calls in that area when the play originate from T's area.

http://home.officiating.com/sowb/images/court1.gif
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Hey Ron, where you been? You guys all ready for three-person up there in Seattle???
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Hey DJ

I been around, Pretty much just lurkin.

We only have a few leagues that have stepped up so far.
South Puget Sound, KingCo 3A, are the only ones I have heard about. I hear that east side of the state is going all 3 person.............Are you working any High School Ball this year?

Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:40am
Esteemed Participant

Maybe a few in December when I have some open nights...all of our 2A, 3A, and 4A schools down here have gone 3-man... not sure why the 1A didn't, other than we don't have very many of them down here...so should be interesting come tournament time...
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Ron. Wrong coverage area

Here is a better one.

http://www.westsideref.com/westsider...y?opendocument
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Actually,
If you look on page 23 of the 2003-2005 NFHS Officials Manual you will see I am correct.......There is an exception for the Lead to "extend" their coverage when required. However the Primary Coverage is as I have defined in my diagram...

(Unless you can show me different)

[Edited by Ron Pilo on Oct 29th, 2004 at 09:57 AM]
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
Hey DJ

I been around, Pretty much just lurkin.

We only have a few leagues that have stepped up so far.
South Puget Sound, KingCo 3A, are the only ones I have heard about. I hear that east side of the state is going all 3 person.............Are you working any High School Ball this year?

Hey Ron,
I met a guy you probably know...Woody...worked with him at the 3 person clinic in Seattle last week-end.
He looks like he has had some experience in 3 person before...does a great job.
I was very frustrated...almost felt like a first year official again.
We have to get this stuff down, because our 4A, 3A, and 2A leagues, on the eastside, all want the 3 person mechanics implemented for the regular season...and of course the playoffs and State Tournament are all going to 3 person.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

RookieDude,
We only have 2 or 3 leagues over here that are interested in haveing 3 person for the regular season.......It's gonna be real hard to get very many folks assigned enough games so that they are comfortable at state. Fortunately myself and many others work 3 person in college, so we do have an some confidence going into the season and post season.

You going to a state tourney this year? I am thinking about B or 2A......haven't been to either of those.......yet.

Ron
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RookieDude,
We only have 2 or 3 leagues over here that are interested in haveing 3 person for the regular season.......It's gonna be real hard to get very many folks assigned enough games so that they are comfortable at state. Fortunately myself and many others work 3 person in college, so we do have an some confidence going into the season and post season.

You going to a state tourney this year? I am thinking about B or 2A......haven't been to either of those.......yet.

Ron
Ron,
I absolutely agree! You officials that have been doing 3 person will have a huge advantage over the officials that have done few if any 3 person. I'm just glad most of our leagues want the 3 person so we can try and get comfortable with it during the regular season.

I officiated at the 2A State Tourney in 2002...and the B State Tourney in 2003...sat out 2004..and am ready to go this year if I can. Would like to try my luck at the 4A State Tourney to see if I can hang with you west side guys and gals!

Sidenote:
We have had a few discussions over here about 3 person vs. 2 person officiating.
Some have said that the 3 person crew in H.S. ball can really get screwed up if you have a weak official...more so than that same weak official in 2 person. Thier reasoning is that in 2 person the other official can kind of reach out more and cover the other officials area better than in a 3 person crew.
Some have said the 3 person crew works good in college ball because most of the officials are more experienced at calling the game than say a less experienced official at the H.S. level (Frosh or JV official) thrown into a 3 person Varsity crew.
Thoughts?

Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I too sat last year........worked the 4A in 2003.

I agree that it will be a challenging year with less experienced officials working 3 person......Those of us in the game will have to work hard to get/keep them in the game. I suspect there will be alot of instruction going on during games this year....

Well. like said I plan on B or 2A........
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well. like said I plan on B or 2A........
Good Luck! You know what it's like at the "Show"...so either choice would be fun.
I have to say though...that B tourney in Spokane is first class. Great facility! Great hosts! Great accomadations! Great fans! Great Sportsmanship by Coaches and players!
The whole community for each school turns out for the games...they are really into it...the colisieum is packed!

And, of course, any Official worth his/her salt can find the excellent sport's bar down the road for post game discussions.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RookieDude,

Ron
Interesting how some states do 3-person and some don't. I'm in northern VA and we run 3-person on all varsity games. We also do this in some of the rec leagues -- worked 2 girls rec games yesterday (varsity level) and they were 3-person.