The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game High School Jacket ? (Cliff Keen)

Anyone ordered the Cliff Keen Jacket from Refshop.com?

It's supposed to be less hot than that old school smittys jacket that EVERYONE wears...
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
Anyone ordered the Cliff Keen Jacket from Refshop.com?

It's supposed to be less hot than that old school smittys jacket that EVERYONE wears...
I own one. It is ill-fitting around the wrists and neck, although different sizes may vary. It seems pretty breathable but I have not worn it in a gym yet.

I do not own a Smitty but am considering buying one due to the Cliff Keen's poor fit.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know if everyone has that jacket. I had the old Sahara version that was used by the CCA for years until the newer jacket model was used. That is still the best jacket going but they stopped making it. This newer version of the Smitty Jacket seems be in that same style.

I have not had to buy a new jacket in years. Then again we only wear them likely a few hours a season.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I had the Smitty jacket (mid-summer) and the plastic zipper broke the first time I put it on. Also, when I walked I sounded like someone walking in an old 70s windsuit, crackling my way around.

Replaced the jacket with a Honigs and am much happier now. If you're in the market, maybe check them out too.

Honig's Whistle Stop - K19 - BLACK ZIP FRONT WARMUP JACKET
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have not had to buy a new jacket in years.
Peace
I joined a new Association three yrs ago = new jacket. Of course, they hadn't had a new jacket in yrs......until this yr = new jacket. Smitty.

Seriously, if any of you have left Associations with jackets/patches, or bought new ones with new logos, what do you do with your old jackets? While I like donating my slightly warn clothes to the Purple Heart or Salvation Army, etc, I feel odd about a jacket like this. Just curious as to what others do?
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I work many conferences and read in the officiating manual that they encourage the same jackets for the whole crew. In our little corner, they pull 3 guys kinda at random. What's the odds of us all having the same jacket?
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:18pm
beware big brother

The jacket I use for HS games is plain black. I do not put any association logos or even the IHSA logo on it that way I will be able to wear it as long as I do HS games in Illinois. Of course associations don't do any assigning around here, nor are you required to belong to an association to work in any conference.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I had the Smitty jacket (mid-summer) and the plastic zipper broke the first time I put it on. Also, when I walked I sounded like someone walking in an old 70s windsuit, crackling my way around.

Replaced the jacket with a Honigs and am much happier now. If you're in the market, maybe check them out too.

Honig's Whistle Stop - K19 - BLACK ZIP FRONT WARMUP JACKET

What brand is the Honig jacket?
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Would this jacket work in your area?

Eastbay All Sport Warm-Up Jacket - Men's - Basketball - Clothing - Black/Black
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I joined a new Association three yrs ago = new jacket. Of course, they hadn't had a new jacket in yrs......until this yr = new jacket. Smitty.

Seriously, if any of you have left Associations with jackets/patches, or bought new ones with new logos, what do you do with your old jackets? While I like donating my slightly warn clothes to the Purple Heart or Salvation Army, etc, I feel odd about a jacket like this. Just curious as to what others do?
It was kind of stated by someone else from Illinois, but we do not get assigned through any association. I only have an IHSA patch on my jackets. I do not put any other association because as stated I work for conference assignors, not associations in almost every situation. And if I work with two other officials that actually belong to the same association that would be rare. I also belong to 3 different basketball officials associations and it would seem silly to me to wear only one association jacket on the floor or even have several patches when all of them mean something to me. It is like picking your favorite children sometimes.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 01:16pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post

Yes it would.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Our Local Universalist Church sends old clothes to Haiti, and other places that are in desperate need of clothes of any type. I bring all my old officiating shoes, jackets,pants. They even wanted my football knickers.
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
Our Local Universalist Church sends old clothes to Haiti, and other places that are in desperate need of clothes of any type. I bring all my old officiating shoes, jackets,pants. They even wanted my football knickers.
Kind of like the Super Bowl garb ready for the winning team - who loses......they ship the clothes to 3rd world countries. May look into it. Thanks.