Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 08:06am
This IS My Social Life

You're Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is not ever a double foul. In order to be a double foul, the opponents have to commit fouls against each other. This is not true in your scenario. This would always be a false double foul or simultaneous foul depending upon the timing of the two fouls.
Of course.
Duh.
Doi.
That's what I get when I try to think through these things while passing the time watching daughter's volleyball game.

Those volleyball refs...taking a check for what they do is tantamount to sanctioned thievery. When I get old and can't run anymore, I'm gonna look into that. Getting paid for standing in one place for an hour and a half and never breaking a sweat. Nice gig.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

OT: Working Volleyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Those volleyball refs...taking a check for what they do is tantamount to sanctioned thievery. When I get old and can't run anymore, I'm gonna look into that. Getting paid for standing in one place for an hour and a half and never breaking a sweat. Nice gig.
Tell me about it.

Lady last week called a double hit on every single set attempt by either team. No exceptions, I'm not exaggerating. To the point that midway through the first game after a time out, both coaches had told their teams (apparently) to only bump set. She also called double hit on a block that hit both hands - twice.

After the game she didn't bolt, so approaching her in the lobby-area outside the gym like someone wanting to learn I asked her about it. Her direct quote: "You can never use both hands to strike the ball."

And yes, I emailed our supervisor.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

OT: Working Volleyball

Quote:
Of course.

Don't knock it, try it. It is indeed a good gig.
This is my 1st season doing VB. BTW - the toughest call for a VB newbie like me is the double hit.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Money (Billy Joel, 1983) ...

Quote:
Those volleyball refs...taking a check for what they do is tantamount to sanctioned thievery. When I get old and can't run anymore, I'm gonna look into that. Getting paid for standing in one place for an hour and a half and never breaking a sweat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Most high school volleyball games around these parts are held in the midafternoon (fall girls, spring boys), and they are always looking for breathing volleyball officials with a pulse. A lot of our basketball officials, when they retire from their day jobs, move over to volleyball. They tell me that it's a piece of cake, and that it's almost like they're stealing the money. Some guys work varsity games their first year, after never having played the game in high school (other than physical education class). I know one guy who worked some early round state tournament games in his second year. Of course, one does have to be able to get up, and down, that ladder. Now, that's tough work.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 06:09am.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Most high school volleyball games around these parts are held in the midafternoon (fall girls, spring boys), and they are always looking for breathing volleyball officials with a pulse. A lot of our basketball officials, when they retire from their day jobs, move over to volleyball. They tell me that it's a piece of cake, and that it's almost like they're stealing the money. Some guys work varsity games their first year, after never having played the game in high school (other than physical education class). I know one guy who worked some early round state tournament games in his second year. Of course, one does have to be able to get up, and down, that ladder. Now, that's tough work.
Some of those ladders are down right rickety - ie "hold on tight".
I'm working varsity matches in my first season but only as the R2 - the down official (as do all first years).
I did just retire, but the VB matches are held in the evening.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:40am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Busy Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
This is my 1st season doing VB. BTW - the toughest call for a VB newbie like me is the double hit.
Dang, L3. What with basketball, volleyball and softball, you'll never have time to enjoy your retirement. Maybe Mark P can hook you up with some croquet or even tiddleywinks if you get underwhelmed!!
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Only Things Certain In Life Are Death And Taxes (Benjamin Franklin) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Dang, L3. What with basketball, volleyball and softball.
I hope that he's reporting every single penny to the I.R.S. You don't think that they can track down who Lcubed48 really is? Think again. Wait? I have to get off the internet because I see a black helicopter flying around my neighborhood.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Maybe Mark P can hook you up with some croquet or even tiddleywinks if you get underwhelmed!!
Not tiddlywinks, but possibly balloon volleyball. Here at the assisted living center which is now my home, we actually play this about once a week. We alternate between playing it indoors and outdoors depending on the weather. We use a large balloon, not a ball, because virtually every resident here uses either a wheelchair or a walker. I'm one of about only two or three who can still walk without assistance.

About two months ago, I actually pretended to "officiate" the games while wearing my old referee uniform. I still have it because I wear it as a Halloween costume. BTW - I wear black sweatpants with it because that way, I don't have to wear a belt.

During those games, one guy who is about 85, kept yelling at me to blow my whistle (yes, I use that too). I told him that if he didn't knock it off, I'd sell his teeth on e-bay. He shut up.

BTW - I also call Bingo one night a week and host Trivia Night one night a week. I've hosted that with 60 questions I develop each week for over a year, so I've come up with over 3000 questions so far. I really love doing it and it certainly keeps me from getting bored.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Things that are less boring than officiating volleyball.

Watching grass grow.
Watching cars rust.
Sleeping.
A Baptist sermon.
Everything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 02:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Degree Of Excitement Depends On The Color ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You forgot about watching paint dry.

Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 02:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Takes A Lot Of Guts To Insult Me From 3000 Miles Away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I wear black sweatpants with it because that way, I don't have to wear a belt.
Shut up.

Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pardon The Interruption ...

Quote:
How about watching a field hockey game, or a girls lacrosse game? I've watched my nieces play these games and there's a whistle every time one girl comes within six feet of another girl. Absolutely no contact. Whistle after whistle after whistle after whistle. And in field hockey, I believe that you can't strike the ball with the "wrong" side of the stick, or raise the stick more than a few inches off the ground. Whistle after whistle after whistle after whistle. Talk about "game interrupters", the whole damn game is one long interruption.

Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
OK - I am a softball umpire, and have been for almost 25 years . About 10 years ago my ASA assignor started getting after me to work volleyball - : "Ya gotta do volleyball - modified (middle school) volleyball is EASSY" (imagine Arnold Stang) So, after couple of years of this, I went and took the course. The course itself is a nut buster, as NYS goes by the NCAA book, and the clinician is nuts. My second match ever, I was assigned, by myself, and both coaches wanted to start before the required 4:30 start - you have to be there at 4 for warmups. So we started about 4:20 or so - and I was walking out of there after 3 sets....before 5 p! I felt like Willie Sutton after a bank visit! Our fee at that time was about $60 a match, plus an extra half fee for working alone!

Well, eight years later it has gotten nuts: A couple of years ago, to save on bus trips, the local sports authority that schedules and pays us, decided to have the modified teams play each other once a year, with each meeting being a double match. What is crazy is that now I am up to 15-17 of these a year - at $1.20 a trip (move the decimal point )!

While it is easy, the travel here can be a bit much - we cover three counties in SE NYS, the written test is a b***h, even with it being open book; and those double matches sometimes can last a while. But still, I am never. ever looking to move up! The double matches are kind of long though - almost 2 1/2 hours sometimes...

Our local volleyball group is VERY short, as volleyball suffers from the same problem a lot of 'specialty' sports have - there are just not enough people who live and breathe the sport, who are available afternoons.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Watching grass grow.
Watching cars rust.
Sleeping.
A Baptist sermon.
Everything.
Yeah, but. None pay as well.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dang, L3. What with basketball, volleyball and softball, you'll never have time to enjoy your retirement. Maybe Mark P can hook you up with some croquet or even tiddleywinks if you get underwhelmed!!
This is my retirement.