The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96188-what-would-you-do.html)

JRutledge Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33am

All I am saying is what rule we are talking about is not hard for the players to understand and if called the sky is not going to fall for these kids. This is not like trying to determine a kid travels because he can barely get his arms around the basketball. I am all about adjusting to the level, but this rule we are talking about does not need that much adjustment IMO.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:32pm

Stalemate ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 906621)
... rule we are talking about is not hard for the players to understand ... this rule we are talking about does not need that much adjustment.

JRutledge: Several Forum members tend to disagree with you (and several agree with you). Let's agree to disagree, and go back to our corners and handle it the way our assigners wants it done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 906343)
... blow the whistle and point to the player to properly inbound the ball ... depending on how generous and/or teachable you are feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 906345)
7th grade? I'd probably kill the play and bring them back, depending on the talent level on the court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 906368)
This is what my partner & I did in our 7th grade game last week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 906391)
Elementary, and Junior High, I am stopping play and bringing them back for a proper throw in, once, and explaining the correct thing to do. After that I am calling a violation. All other levels no warning, it's a violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 906398)
Falls into the same category as getting them lined up for free throws properly...certainly not by the book, but I'm looking to help teach the game at this level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 906416)
I think you have to read the game to know. Some times they should know better, sometimes they're barely able to hold the ball. At those levels, you have to call the game to a level that they specific players in the game are ready for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinP (Post 906526)
It's 7th grade basketball. Blow the whistle as soon as they grab ball and tell the player what to do ... we are not only enforcing the rules but coaching a little bit in the younger grades. I've never had an opposing coach get upset for helping out on a play like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 906528)
... whether I agree with the rest of your position (I do).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 906535)
I agree, and I probably approach this the way Billy does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 906565)
...after 3 weeks of practice still don't know they can't dribble with both hands, or they can't stop a dribble and then dribble again.

Adam Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:36pm

I'm probably somewhere in the middle between you two, but...

And, with that....