The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 01:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation A blast from the past

I'm still living in an assisted living center since my heart operation and yesterday, a buddy called me about a call he had in a summer rec league game (NF rules). It triggered a memory I had (one of three memories I had all week ) of discussing this rule a really long time ago on this board. I used the search engine and found a thread I started back in November of 1999 (before some of you were born). Here it is:

Here's the scenario: A1 dribbling in frontcourt. A2 and A3 are still in their backcourt, picking their nose, checking out the babes in row 5, whatever. B1 slaps the ball away from A1. The ball DOES NOT touch A1 prior to going into A's backcourt. B1 does not pursue the ball, since there are members of team A back there and he feels the effort would be futile. Since A2 and A3 are about one fry short of a Happy Meal anyway, they also don't go after the ball and it kind of just bounces or rolls around in A's backcourt. Here's the multi-part question: 1)do you start a 10 second backcourt count 2)if so, when - when the ball achieves backcourt status or when it is touched by a member of A in the backcourt (if ever) 3)if the ball is untouched by A, would you actually count in a real game and 4)if not, why not. My answers are: 1)yes 2)when the ball first touches the backcourt 3)yes 4)n/a. What are yours? BTW - Happy Meal is a registered trademark of McDonald's, Inc. Just thought I'd throw that in.

I told him to look this old thread up and he would get his answer, but he told me he can't get the internet on his abacus. Do you guys agree with the answers in the thread?
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 03:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I agree with your answers, Mark.

Hope all is well!
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

Publisher's Note: The National Federation of State High School Associations is the only source of official high school interpretations. They do not set aside nor modify any rule. They are made and published by the NFHS in response to situations presented.

SITUATION 8: A1 is dribbling in his/her frontcourt when B1 deflects the ball into A's backcourt. The ball is bouncing toward the end line in A's backcourt while A1 and B1 give chase. B1 and A1 each contact the ball, but neither gains control. Finally, after numerous attempts by each player, A1 gains possession deep in A's backcourt. When does the 10-second count begin anew for Team A? RULING: The count starts as soon as the ball goes into the backcourt since team control has not ended. (4-12-3; 9-8)
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

King Of The Archives ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
Nevadaref never let's us down. Some of our children weren't born, and some of the children of players in our games weren't born, in 2008.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
... B1 does not pursue the ball, since there are members of team A back there and he feels the effort would be futile. Since A2 and A3 are about one fry short of a Happy Meal anyway, they also don't go after the ball and it kind of just bounces or rolls around in A's backcourt ...
This reminds me of an old IAABO refresher exam question. I can't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this. After a time out, inbounder A1 throws a terrible bounce pass that just kind of rolls around, and eventually stops in the backcourt of Team A. No players from Team A, nor from Team B, attempt to get the ball. The official starts a ten second backcourt count as soon as it's apparent that nobody from either team is attempting to get the ball. Is the official correct?

This was just after the NFHS changed the inbounding rule from five seconds until the ball is touched inbounds, to five seconds for a release by inbounder.
What a stupid question, that will never, ever, ever, happen in a real game.

As far as I know, the two teams, and the officials, are still in the gymnasium waiting for someone to touch the ball. I hope that they're allowed bathroom breaks every once in a while.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 05:55pm.